From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-15 08:52, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 07:25 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-04-15 04:56, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>> Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
>>> It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
>>> shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
>>> all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
>>> backports. Thanks - John
>>>
>> Semi-OT from your question, but v8.1.7 is *really* old. Make that
>> really *REALLY* old. If you're running Stable and that's what's in
>> the Stable repos, then remove it an go directly to adobe to get the
>> latest version.
> <snip>
> I thought about doing that but it looks like the only deb is a 32 bit
> one and we are running 64 bit :(

There are definitely packaged techniques for running 32-bit apps
(even FF plugins) on amd64.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:08:42 -0400
> Wayne <linuxtwo(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Wayne,
>
>> Acroread has not worked on my amd64 box in over 4 months.
>
> Stable, testing or Sid?
>
> I ask since it works here (amd64) in testing. Version of acroread is
> 9.3.1

Testing. I dropped it in January after completely purging/installing
it 5-6 times. It would not load and kept throwing an error that it
could not find the libXrender lib, IIRC, which was not in the depends.

The eagle package was failing with the same error so I purged all of the
32 bit libs and both aptitude & eagle and kept getting that error
whenever I reinstalled them.

Installed kicad and epdfview and moved on.

Both are installed on a 686 box and other then a little error in
acroread, they are working well. The Acroread error is it prints the
odd pages when you ask for even and vise versa. Not really an error,
just a PITA.

Wayne

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:56:44 -0400
"John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan(a)opensourcedevel.com> dijo:

>Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
>It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
>shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers
>like all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running
>Lenny + backports. Thanks - John

I had this problem with 64-bit Ubuntu for a long time. Finally, when
Adobe was working on the 9.x release I inquired directly to Adobe. The
result was that I became a beta tester. And the outcome was that Adobe
fixed Reader 9.1 so that I could see my printers.

I have not had the problem since. I suggest getting the latest version
of Reader. Version 8.1.7 is really old anyway.

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:08:42 -0400
> Wayne <linuxtwo(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Wayne,
>
>> Acroread has not worked on my amd64 box in over 4 months.
>
> Stable, testing or Sid?
>
> I ask since it works here (amd64) in testing. Version of acroread is
> 9.3.1

Brad

Just tried to install acroread again. Won't install due to a bug in
the ia32 libs. The saga continues.....

Wayne

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:46:13 -0400
Wayne <linuxtwo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Wayne,

> Just tried to install acroread again. Won't install due to a bug
> in the ia32 libs. The saga continues.....

All very strange, as it works nicely here. Sadly, I have no idea what
to suggest.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick
White Riot - The Clash