From: John A. Sullivan III on
Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
backports. Thanks - John

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:56:44 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
> It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
> shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
> all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
> backports. Thanks - John

Mmmm, IIRC you have to leave the default command as is (/usr/bin/lpr) and
select a default printer in KDE.

Acrobat should print for the default printer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 11:57 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
> > It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
> > shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
> > all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
> > backports. Thanks - John
> >

> Hi,
>
> Can you see them in your Printers folder? And in CUPS too?

Yes. All the other applications, e.g., OpenOffice, KDE apps, Gnome
dialogs such as in IceWeasel or Evolution, all see the printers. Just
not acroread :(

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 10:35 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:56:44 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
> > It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
> > shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
> > all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
> > backports. Thanks - John
>
> Mmmm, IIRC you have to leave the default command as is (/usr/bin/lpr) and
> select a default printer in KDE.
>
> Acrobat should print for the default printer.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

While googling around, I did see a page which suggested I should be able
to see my printers
(http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2009/06/printing_with_adobe_reader_the.html). I do see that I can fiddle with the ~/adobe/Acrobat/8.0Preferences/reader_prefs and set /printerCommand [/s (kprinter)] instead of (lp) but that's not quite the same. If we have to go that route, does anyone know how to edit /usr/lib/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/GlobalPrefs/reader_prefs to set this automatically when users run acroread for the first time? Thanks - John

On 2010-04-15 04:56, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
> It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
> shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
> all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
> backports. Thanks - John

Semi-OT from your question, but v8.1.7 is *really* old. Make that
really *REALLY* old. If you're running Stable and that's what's in
the Stable repos, then remove it an go directly to adobe to get the
latest version.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?