From: Stephen Powell on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:13:35 -0400 (EDT), Wayne wrote:
> dpkg -l linux-image |grep ^i
>
> will show you that the version, -3, changed. The name did not.

Not exactly. The -3 is an upstream version number, and is part of the
Debian package name. linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 and
linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd64 are two different packages and can be
installed and removed separately. They are both derived from the
same source package, which is linux-source-2.6.32. However,
linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd64 is derived from a newer Debian version of
linux-source-2.6.32 than the Debian version from which
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 is derived. The same is true for
all architectures (i386, amd64, ia64, etc.).

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

Sam wrote:
> Maybe I don't understand how aptitude works for this case. From
> everything I can see, if I remove the kernel that aptitude lists as
> obsolete, I won't have any kernel at all.

First of all, you replied to me personally instead of to the list.
I'm putting this back on the list where it belongs.

If you have already done the upgrade, you should have two kernel
image packages installed: linux-image-2.6.32-3-<arch> and
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-<arch>. If you wish to purge the old
kernel, shutdown and reboot first. This will cause the new kernel
to be booted. Then you can purge the old one. aptitude will
not let you purge or remove a running kernel.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:11:12 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> I too, am having problems with X. Even after Stephen Powell's excellent
> explanation of things in the Xorg.conf thread, I can't get a properly
> working monitor setup. I get a display, but not at the monitor's
> preferred resolution. Still, even that's an improvement on a few months
> back; X wouldn't even start!

Brad,

If you will provide the following information, I'll be glad to take
a look at it for you.

(1) What release of Debian are you running (Lenny, Squeeze, etc.)
(2) What is the make and model of your computer
(3) What is the make and model of your video card
(4) What is the make and model of your monitor
(5) What is the current contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
(6) What is the current contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file

Snood wrote:

>> dpkg -l linux-image |grep ^i
>>
>> will show you that the version, -3, changed. The name did not.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> That command results in nothing at all on my system. Is that significant?

No, because, stupid me, forgot to type it correctly. Try this

dpkg -l linux-image* |grep ^i

The wildcard * tells it to check for all the linux-image files
The |grep ^i means -- only show packages that have 'i' in the first
column, which means show only the installed packages.

This list code of conduct discourages sending personal mail. I am
including the list in the cc so other users may benefit from your
question. Please ask questions on the list and not directly to members.

Thank you

Wayne

Stephen Powell wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>> Maybe I don't understand how aptitude works for this case. From
>> everything I can see, if I remove the kernel that aptitude lists as
>> obsolete, I won't have any kernel at all.
>
> First of all, you replied to me personally instead of to the list.
> I'm putting this back on the list where it belongs.
>
> If you have already done the upgrade, you should have two kernel
> image packages installed: linux-image-2.6.32-3-<arch> and
> linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-<arch>. If you wish to purge the old
> kernel, shutdown and reboot first. This will cause the new kernel
> to be booted. Then you can purge the old one. aptitude will
> not let you purge or remove a running kernel.

Oh, rats. I was in a rush to post and forgot the way the list works. I
wish that all the lists to which I subscribed behaved the same. Thanks
for helping me out. I made several replies the same way, darnitall.

I know about rebooting and purging. I've done it lots before. It's not
working that way in this case. Honestly. There's just no evidence that I
can find that there's more than one kernel to select from. In fact,
there's not even any evidence at all that there was any kernel upgrade
on the three machines that had the initial OS installation done with the
trunk kernel install option. On the other system, I can see that a new
linux-image package was installed. But there's only one choice of
kernels at boot time. And any attempt on any of these systems to remove
the "obsolete" kernel results in the warning that the only kernel is
being removed.