From: Celejar on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:21:34 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist(a)videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:16:32 -0400
> Celejar <celejar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:05:04 -0400
> > Frank McCormick <debianlist(a)videotron.ca> wrote:

> > > Uummm...yes it will. I have done it :( accidentally. What a
> > > PAIN!
> >
> > Not sure how you could have done it by accident - aptitude warns you
> > thus:
> >
> > -----
> >
> > You are running a kernel (version 2.6.34-rc1-lizzie-00005-g522dba7)
> > and attempting to remove the same version. This is a potentially
> > disastrous action. Not only
>

> Yes. most of us probably know what the warning says. Guess you've
> never done anything accidentally. Can you also walk on water :)

Fair enough. But you seemed to imply that aptitude just "lets you",
and I wanted to clarify that it only lets you after printing a Big Fat
Warning about potential disasters, etc, which one must deliberately (or
perhaps 'actively' would be a better choice of words) choose to ignore.

Celejar

On Mon,15.Mar.10, 20:08:02, Snood wrote:

> >You can then reboot into the new kernel and remove the obsolete
> >linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 package.
>
> Thank you. I did this, rebooted into the new kernel, used aptitude
> to remove the old one, and removed the obsolete kernel. Everything
> is ticking along nicely.

In general I prefer to keep at least one different kernel version
installed, Just In Case, but in this particular case I too did get rid
of the -trunk- image ASAP because:

- it shouldn't have been uploaded to unstable in the first place
- it messes up the usual boot order (the most recent kernel first)
- I have enough kernels installed ;)

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu wrote:

> In general I prefer to keep at least one different kernel version
> installed, Just In Case, but in this particular case I too did get rid
> of the -trunk- image ASAP because:
>
> - it shouldn't have been uploaded to unstable in the first place
> - it messes up the usual boot order (the most recent kernel first)
> - I have enough kernels installed ;)

Though my reasoning was not as well-ordered as yours, the second reason
you list was bouncing around in my fuzzy little brain. I figured that,
if it was going to behave like that, I was going to give it the ax.

Thank you for reminding me earlier to check /boot/grub/grub.cfg. That
plus what I was seeing in aptitude helped me to realize how odd the
situation was. At least, it was something that I had never seen before.
I had basically two different odd (at least to me) scenarios going on
among these four systems. Even the one that actually had the new kernel
wasn't going to benefit from it if grub wasn't going to use it!

Thanks and regards,
Sam