From: Snood on
Wayne wrote:
> Snood wrote:
>>>
>>> dpkg -l linux-image |grep ^i
>>>
>>> will show you that the version, -3, changed. The name did not.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>

>> That command results in nothing at all on my system. Is that significant?
>>
> No, because, stupid me, forgot to type it correctly. Try this
>
> dpkg -l linux-image* |grep ^i
>
> The wildcard * tells it to check for all the linux-image files
> The |grep ^i means -- only show packages that have 'i' in the first
> column, which means show only the installed packages.
>

> This list code of conduct discourages sending personal mail. I am
> including the list in the cc so other users may benefit from your
> question. Please ask questions on the list and not directly to members.
>
> Thank you
>
> Wayne

Yes, sorry. I've got to get my head on straight today. I just joined
this list and forgot about the differences. Some mung, and some don't.

Output from dpkg -l linux-image* |grep ^i was:

ii linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 2.6.32-5
Linux 2.6.32 for modern PCs

Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:51 -0400, Snood wrote:
>> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> Sam wrote:
>
>>> First of all, you replied to me personally instead of to the list.
>>> I'm putting this back on the list where it belongs.
>
> Same happened here.
>
>>> If you have already done the upgrade, you should have two kernel
>>> image packages installed: linux-image-2.6.32-3-<arch> and
>>> linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-<arch>. If you wish to purge the old
>>> kernel, shutdown and reboot first. This will cause the new kernel
>>> to be booted. Then you can purge the old one. aptitude will
>>> not let you purge or remove a running kernel.
>
>> I know about rebooting and purging. I've done it lots before. It's
>> not working that way in this case. Honestly. There's just no
>> evidence that I can find that there's more than one kernel to select
>> from. In fact, there's not even any evidence at all that there was
>> any kernel upgrade on the three machines that had the initial OS
>> installation done with the trunk kernel install option. On the other
>> system, I can see that a new linux-image package was installed. But
>> there's only one choice of kernels at boot time. And any attempt on
>> any of these systems to remove the "obsolete" kernel results in the
>> warning that the only kernel is being removed.
>
> It would be great, if you could provide us with the output of the
> following commands:
>
> # aptitude search ~i~n^linux-image
> # apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
>
> It is quite likely that you have indeed two packages installed, namely
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 and linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686. The latter
> is no longer present in the archives and therefore obsolete.
>
> We can see that linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 is in testing:
>
> $ rmadison linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 | 2.6.32-9 | testing | i386
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 | 2.6.32-9 | unstable | i386
>
> so you should have installed it. That assumes that you have a kernel
> meta-package installed, which depends on the current package that
> provides the newest kernel. That meta-package is probably
> linux-image-2.6-686.
>
> It has already been pointed out in this thread that this kernel
> update did, in contrast to previous updates, not select the kernel
> provided by linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 as default kernel for grub. I
> therefore think that the warning you get is not due to the fact that you
> have only one kernel installed, but rather that you are trying to remove
> the kernel *you are currently using*, because you booted into the "old"
> kernel.
>
> If you really have only one kernel package installed, I would suggest to
> install the aforementioned meta-package or linux-image-2.6.32-3-686,
> reboot and remove/purge linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686. Please provide the
> complete output of any command that gives errors.

Output of
# aptitude search ~i~n^linux-image
is
i linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 - Linux 2.6.32 for modern PCs

Output of
# apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
is
linux-image-2.6.32-3-686:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2.6.32-9
Version table:
2.6.32-9 0
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/main Packages

Thank you. I'm sorry about mixing up my replies. I'm new here and have
been used to working with lists which mess around with the reply to
behavior.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 19:21 -0400, Snood wrote:

> Output of
> # aptitude search ~i~n^linux-image
> is
> i linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 - Linux 2.6.32 for modern PCs

Ok - You really have only one linux-image-* package installed and you've
installed it directly, i.e. it was not installed as a dependency of a
meta-package.

> Output of
> # apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
> is
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-686:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: 2.6.32-9
> Version table:
> 2.6.32-9 0
> 500 http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/main Packages

Very Good. I would suggest that you install linux-image-2.6-686 or
linux-image-686, which depend on linux-image-2.6.32-3-686. That way you
will get kernel updates in the future and don't run into this mess
again.

You can then reboot into the new kernel and remove the obsolete
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 package.

> Thank you. I'm sorry about mixing up my replies. I'm new here and
> have been used to working with lists which mess around with the
> reply to behavior.

You might also want to trim your posts and interleave your answers.
Welcome to the list. :)

--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: Snood on
Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> Ok - You really have only one linux-image-* package installed and you've
> installed it directly, i.e. it was not installed as a dependency of a
> meta-package.

Yes, I think I understand. I used a netinst disc to install the
operating system. In Lenny installed via netinst I got kernel updates.
Does it not work that way in Squeeze?

> Very Good. I would suggest that you install linux-image-2.6-686 or
> linux-image-686, which depend on linux-image-2.6.32-3-686. That way you
> will get kernel updates in the future and don't run into this mess
> again.

> You can then reboot into the new kernel and remove the obsolete
> linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 package.

Thank you. I did this, rebooted into the new kernel, used aptitude to
remove the old one, and removed the obsolete kernel. Everything is
ticking along nicely.

> You might also want to trim your posts and interleave your answers.
> Welcome to the list. :)

Yes, I should have known that, too. I read it when I joined initially,
and then got rushed whilst trying to do several things at once.

Thank you for the welcome. And thank you for the very good advice.

Best regards,
Sam