From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:31:56 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:12:56 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I.e., if your USB drive is listed there and you have something like:

>> /dev/sdb1 /data/backup ext3
>> acl,user_xattr 1 2 ^
>>
>> Then fsck will try to check that mount point, either is present or not
>> (or at least that is my understanding after reading "man fstab") :-)
>

> That's not what happens in my case. The boot process simply gives
> an error that the device does not exist. There is no attempt to fsck the
> non-existant drive. I gather this is because the system attempts to
> mount the non-existant drive.

Uh? Didn't you say...? :-?

***
I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
programs for different filesystem types give different error codes.
***

O.k., let's start over.

Any device or partition listed under fstab are "static" ones. If you have
defined a mount point that is not present at boot time, you will get a
warning, that is a normal behaviour.

If your USB disk is not always "on" and you want to prevent that warning,
you can use de "noauto" option but you'll have to manually mount it when
you plug it.

Another possibility is just deleting (or comment) that entry in fstab and
use the standard DE hotplug system (that will mount the unit under /media
as soon as you turn it on).

Additional info:

http://wiki.debian.org/USBDrive

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:10:29 +0000 (UTC)
Camale�n <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:31:56 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:12:56 +0000 (UTC) Camale�n wrote:
> >
> >> I.e., if your USB drive is listed there and you have something
> >> like:

> >> # <pass>
> >> /dev/sdb1 /data/backup ext3
> >> acl,user_xattr 1 2 ^
> >>
> >> Then fsck will try to check that mount point, either is present
> >> or not (or at least that is my understanding after reading "man
> >> fstab") :-)
> >

> > That's not what happens in my case. The boot process simply
> > gives an error that the device does not exist. There is no
> > attempt to fsck the non-existant drive. I gather this is because
> > the system attempts to mount the non-existant drive.
>
> Uh? Didn't you say...? :-?
>
> ***
> I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
> non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
> programs for different filesystem types give different error codes.
> ***

No. I didn't say it.

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:25:12 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Hi, I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
> non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
> programs for different filesystem types give different error codes.
>
> What is the easiest way to set up Debian to automatically mount specific
> devices if they are present, but not cause a boot failure when they are
> absent?

> Any device or partition listed under fstab are "static" ones. If
> you have defined a mount point that is not present at boot time,
> you will get a warning, that is a normal behaviour.
>
> If your USB disk is not always "on" and you want to prevent that
> warning, you can use de "noauto" option but you'll have to manually
> mount it when you plug it.

No, it mounts automatically when I plug it in...I just want it
mounted automatically IF it's present during boot

- --
Frank

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:34:40 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:10:29 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> Uh? Didn't you say...? :-?
>>
>> ***
>> I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on non-existent
>> devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck programs for
>> different filesystem types give different error codes. ***
>
> No. I didn't say it.

Oops, sorry. You're right. That was the OP.

>> Any device or partition listed under fstab are "static" ones. If you
>> have defined a mount point that is not present at boot time, you will
>> get a warning, that is a normal behaviour.
>>
>> If your USB disk is not always "on" and you want to prevent that
>> warning, you can use de "noauto" option but you'll have to manually
>> mount it when you plug it.
>
> No, it mounts automatically when I plug it in...I just want it
> mounted automatically IF it's present during boot

Then, why not just add it to "/etc/fstab"?

- If it's present, it will be mounted.
- If it's not available, it will be ignored and the warning logged.

Nothing wrong with that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:46:09 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> To the OP:
>
> The bottom line: There is no problem even if flashdrives/cameras etc are
> in fstab but not present- you simply get the error logged

Question is, do you really need "those" devices (flash drives and MC/SD
memory cards) to be present in "fstab"? That is, do you need static mount
points for that kind of devices?

USB hard drives make sense, but for media cards I'd better let hotplug
subsystem auto-manages them.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón