From: Arthur Marsh on
Hi, I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
programs for different filesystem types give different error codes.

What is the easiest way to set up Debian to automatically mount specific
devices if they are present, but not cause a boot failure when they are
absent?

Arthur.

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:25:12 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Hi, I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
> non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
> programs for different filesystem types give different error codes.
>
> What is the easiest way to set up Debian to automatically mount specific
> devices if they are present, but not cause a boot failure when they are
> absent?

"man fstab" says that if the <passno> digit is other than zero, "fsck"
will try to check that mount point.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:41:46 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:00:41 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
>> > What is the easiest way to set up Debian to automatically mount
>> > specific devices if they are present, but not cause a boot failure
>> > when they are absent?
>>
>> "man fstab" says that if the <passno> digit is other than zero, "fsck"
>> will try to check that mount point.
>

> I have devices (usually flashdrives and or digital cameras) that
> may or may not be present during boot and they don't cause boot failure.
> But I guess you're talking about differnt devices ??

I mean devices listed as static mount points in "/etc/fstab". Usually,
removable media (flash drivers and SD cards) are not listed there.

I.e., if your USB drive is listed there and you have something like:

/dev/sdb1 /data/backup ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
^

Then fsck will try to check that mount point, either is present or not
(or at least that is my understanding after reading "man fstab") :-)

If you want to avoid auto-checking at all for that specific mount point,
you can put a "0" (zero) in the last column). You'll have to do the
checking manually.

P.S. I suggest you to use LABEL or ID mount points for hard disk USB
devices.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:12:56 +0000 (UTC)
Camale�n <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> "man fstab" says that if the <passno> digit is other than zero,
> >> "fsck" will try to check that mount point.
> >

> > I have devices (usually flashdrives and or digital cameras)
> > that may or may not be present during boot and they don't cause
> > boot failure. But I guess you're talking about different devices ??
>
> I mean devices listed as static mount points in "/etc/fstab".
> Usually, removable media (flash drivers and SD cards) are not
> listed there.
>
> I.e., if your USB drive is listed there and you have something like:

> # <pass>
> /dev/sdb1 /data/backup ext3
> acl,user_xattr 1 2 ^
>
> Then fsck will try to check that mount point, either is present or
> not (or at least that is my understanding after reading "man
> fstab") :-)

That's not what happens in my case. The boot process simply gives
an error that the device does not exist. There is no attempt to
fsck the non-existant drive. I gather this is because the system
attempts to mount the non-existant drive.

> If you want to avoid auto-checking at all for that specific mount
> point, you can put a "0" (zero) in the last column). You'll have to
> do the checking manually.

- --
Frank