From: Frank McCormick on

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:08:57 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:59:13 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> Question is, do you really need "those" devices (flash drives and MC/SD
>> memory cards) to be present in "fstab"? That is, do you need static
>> mount points for that kind of devices?
>>
>> USB hard drives make sense, but for media cards I'd better let hotplug
>> subsystem auto-manages them.
>

> In my particular case, yes. I like to know beforehand where they
> are mounted. AFAIK hotplug or its successor mounts them where it wants
> to ?

Mmm... I think "LABEL" would take precedence over another mount option
(UUID, ID or PATH) so if you "tag" your media device with a LABEL, it
should be mounted when plugged under "/media/mylabel".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Frank McCormick wrote, on 03/02/10 02:11:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:00:41 +0000 (UTC)
> Camale�n <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:25:12 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
>>> non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
>>> programs for different filesystem types give different error
>>> codes.
>>>
>>> What is the easiest way to set up Debian to automatically mount
>>> specific devices if they are present, but not cause a boot
>>> failure when they are absent?
>> "man fstab" says that if the <passno> digit is other than zero,
>> "fsck" will try to check that mount point.
>

> I have devices (usually flashdrives and or digital cameras) that
> may or may not be present during boot and they don't cause boot
> failure. But I guess you're talking about differnt devices ??
>

> - --
> Frank

I was just using a USB flashdrive formatted to vfat.

dosfstools 3.0.1 would have error code 1 for a drive entry in /etc/fstab
that wasn't plugged in and it would boot fine whether the USB drive
was present or not.

If fsck returns with error code greater than 1, the boot process stops
at a prompt to enter root password or control-d.

My argument is that the boot process should not even try to run fsck on
a non-existent device.

Arthur.

Frank McCormick wrote, on 03/02/10 06:16:

> To the OP:
>
> The bottom line: There is no problem even if flashdrives/cameras etc
> are in fstab but not present- you simply get the error logged
>

> Cheers
> - --
> Frank

Well, there is a definite problem in my case (Debian unstable on i386).

Error code 1 on fsck gets an error logged, but doesn't stop the boot
process.

Upgrading dosfstools past 3.0.1 caused an error code greater than 1,
which triggers the stop of the boot process.

I don't understand why initscripts tries to fsck a non-existent device.

Maybe I should file a bug against initscripts.

I had initially filed a bug against dosfstools but had no response:

I would just like to have USB flash drives that may or may not be
plugged into machines that aren't switched on all the time, and I would
like them to be mounted if they're plugged in when the machine is
powered on, and for the machine to boot anyway if the USB flash drive is
not present.

Regards,

Arthur.

Regards,

Arthur.

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:42:40 +1030
Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh(a)internode.on.net> wrote:

> > The bottom line: There is no problem even if flashdrives/cameras
> > etc are in fstab but not present- you simply get the error logged
>
> Well, there is a definite problem in my case (Debian unstable on
> i386).
>
> Error code 1 on fsck gets an error logged, but doesn't stop the
> boot process.
>
> Upgrading dosfstools past 3.0.1 caused an error code greater than
> 1, which triggers the stop of the boot process.
>
> I don't understand why initscripts tries to fsck a non-existent
> device.
>
> Maybe I should file a bug against initscripts.
>
> I had initially filed a bug against dosfstools but had no response:

Very strange -
This is my fstab#

/etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda1 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/dvd udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/dvd-rom udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda3 /media/intrepid auto rw,user,auto 0 0
/dev/sda1 /media/FlashDrive vfat rw,user,auto 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/camera vfat rw,user,auto 0 0

I'm running testing with dosfstools 3.0.7-1

sda1 is usually plugged in...but the camera usually is not.

- --
Frank