From: Arthur Marsh on
Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:

>> <<(UUID, ID or PATH) so if you "tag" your media device with a LABEL, it
>> Well Label didn't work in my case either - I gave the USB drive a
>> label
>> of Music...then changed fstab to the LABEL=Music from /dev/sda1
>>
>> The drive did not get mounted and I had to go back to /dev/sda1
>>
>> But as long as /dev/sda1 is used, there is no fsck of the drive.
>
> You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of your
> DE hotplug capabilities.
>
> Greetings,

As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
after the machine is booted.

I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
USB flash drive present.

Any takers for suggestions?

Arthur.

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:

>> You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
>> your DE hotplug capabilities.
>>
> As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
> flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
> present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
> after the machine is booted.

As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.

> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
> USB flash drive present.

That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.

> Any takers for suggestions?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Il giorno mer, 03/02/2010 alle 16.35 +0000, Camaleón ha scritto:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>
> > Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:
>
> >> You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
> >> your DE hotplug capabilities.
> >>
> > As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
> > flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
> > present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
> > after the machine is booted.
>
> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.
>
> > I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
> > USB flash drive present.
>
> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
> > Any takers for suggestions?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Maybe OT: what about executing a sh command on specific usb drive
mounts, on gnome and kde? As of as i recall from the debian wiki that's
not explained. Maybe in gentoo docs, i'll see.

Thanks for any hints.

Pier Paolo wrote, on 04/02/10 04:07:
> Il giorno mer, 03/02/2010 alle 16.35 +0000, Camaleón ha scritto:

>>> As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
>>> flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
>>> present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
>>> after the machine is booted.
>> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
>> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.
>>
>>> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
>>> USB flash drive present.
>> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
>> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>>
>>> Any takers for suggestions?
>> Greetings,
>>
>> --
>> Camaleón
>>

> Maybe OT: what about executing a sh command on specific usb drive
> mounts, on gnome and kde? As of as i recall from the debian wiki that's
> not explained. Maybe in gentoo docs, i'll see.
>
> Thanks for any hints.

Do you mean rather than using an /etc/fstab entry or a package like
usbmount, have a udev rule that on detection of the USB device, either
does an fsck and mount (at machine boot time) or just a mount of the
device (if the device appears after machine boot time)?

Arthur.

In <5quq37-nql.ln1(a)ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net>, Arthur
Marsh wrote:
>Camaleón wrote, on 04/02/10 03:05:
>>>
>>> As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
>>> flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
>>> present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
>>> after the machine is booted.
>>
>> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
>> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.
>>
>>> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
>>> USB flash drive present.
>>
>> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
>> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
>The response I received to
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
>responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
>proper behaviour /-:.

I tend to agree. /etc/fstab is for static file systems, where "static" means
"always present in always the same location". I don't want any of my file
systems in /etc/fstab to simply be "skipped" because their device isn't
present -- I want a *LOUD* warning.

Exceptions -- file systems I don't want checked get a passno of 0; file
systems I don't want mounted get noauto flag.

IMHO, you are using /etc/fstab wrong and you'd better suited to using some
other method of fscking and mounting. Udev can run a command as soon as the
device node is available, but be aware that udev blocks until the command is
complete.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))