From: Panayiotis Karabassis on
Sorry but I am somewhat of a newbie.

Camaleón wrote:
> I'm not sure what are your goals with this step because the router hasn't
> to resolve local dns queries, but bind9 :-?

Don't connected computers resolve dns queries at the router? My goal is
to make all computers on the local network automatically use my bind9
server.
> How are you exactly querying the router? Did you added the router's local
> IP into the DNS zone?

With 'nslookup mylocaldomain.com 192.168.1.1'. I don't know much about
DNS. I attach my zone files.

From: Panayiotis Karabassis on
Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Perhaps a silly thought, but home routers are usually configured to
> access an external nameserver not one on the local network. Perhaps
> it can't reach the nameserver.
I was thinking the same thing.

> Two thoughts come to mind:
>
> 1. see if you can traceroute the nameserver from somewhere off your
> local network (make sure to traceroute to port 53)
The nameserver is not visible to the external world. Should I forward
the port?

> 2. look at your router config - see if its blocking port 53 - if so,
> try unblocking it (note that this will open your nameserver to the
> world - so you'd need to lock that down a bit)

I don't think it is blocking it.

Regards

Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

>> Two thoughts come to mind:
>>
>> 1. see if you can traceroute the nameserver from somewhere off your
>> local network (make sure to traceroute to port 53)
> The nameserver is not visible to the external world. Should I forward
> the port?
>>
>> 2. look at your router config - see if its blocking port 53 - if so,
>> try unblocking it (note that this will open your nameserver to the
>> world - so you'd need to lock that down a bit)
>>
> I don't think it is blocking it.
These two statements are contradictory. If the nameserver is not
visible to the external world, then its precisely because your router is
blocking the port. Try forwarding the port and see what happens. If it
works, then you should immediately figure out how to lock things down so
only your local machines can access the port.

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:35:08 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Sorry but I am somewhat of a newbie.
>
> Camaleón wrote:
>> I'm not sure what are your goals with this step because the router
>> hasn't to resolve local dns queries, but bind9 :-?
>>
> Don't connected computers resolve dns queries at the router?

They resolve at bind9's side (local queries and remote queries) :-)

> My goal is
> to make all computers on the local network automatically use my bind9
> server.

Your computers, yes, but also the router? That was my doubt :-?

>> How are you exactly querying the router? Did you added the router's
>> local IP into the DNS zone?
>>

> With 'nslookup mylocaldomain.com 192.168.1.1'.

Mmm, as per the zone settings you are using, you should just query "dig
router" or "nslookup router".

> I don't know much about
> DNS. I attach my zone files.
>
> $TTL 1h
> @ IN SOA ns1.panayk.endofinternet.org.

That domain name already exists in Internet (it's reachable). I suppose
it belongs to you, right? :-?

(...)

> router IN A 192.168.1.1

I think that should be enough.