From: Dave Warren on
In message <TEKMATE.43esbb(a)DoNotSpam.com> TEKMATE
<TEKMATE.43esbb(a)DoNotSpam.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
>it.

If by "constantly defragging" you mean "Defrags once a week, but only
when the computer isn't in use" then you're correct.

>Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled.

Umm, no. Vista is good (and W7 is better) at backing off when there is
user activity, so during the actual defrag there shouldn't be any
noticeable performance loss during the defragmentation.

The rest of the time you may see a performance increase or you may not,
it really depends on the way you use your system and your hardware
whether fragmentation would have caused a performance hit or not.
From: Tom on

"TEKMATE" <TEKMATE.43esbb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
> it.
> Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
> defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
> this doesn't answer any your questions though.
>

> --
> TEKMATE
> TEKMATE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163105.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/1283627.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Defrag never runs constantly, only when it's set to run. If there is user
activity happening, it won't run.

One's PC running faster has nothing to do with the Windows defrag program,
but is has totally everything to do with what one's PC has running at
startup and how much RAM and high end hardware they have to be able to run
Vista and Win7.

From: John Barnes on
Which OS are you running. Where in the system do you get this message? Can
you open an elevated command prompt and run 'defrag /C' no quotes and the
drive letter you want to defrag.

From: John Barnes on
Sorry, that's defrag C: