From: Richard on
Is there any benefit in upgrading from XP Pro64 o Windows 7 64 please?
Does it run significantly faster for example.

Cheers

Richard

From: mikeyhsd on
as with all upgrades your mileage may vary.

it has the ability to be slightly faster.
depends on your configuration.
it is more secure for sure.
and is on the list of OS to be supported for years compared to xp which is on the grave list.

mikeyhsd(a)hotmail.com

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Well, there's a lot more functionality in Win7. It's certainly more secure.
And it is far better supported for drivers and software. Is it faster?
Probably not, though if you have enough hardware to run 64-bit at all, it
probably isn't any different in speed. Faster for some things, I suspect,
though I honestly haven't done any direct tests. The real point is that
Windows 7 is the future, and Windows XP x64 Edition is a dead-end.

BTW, there is no direct upgrade available. You'll need to do a clean install
when you move to Windows 7 64-bit. (You can use an Upgrade version, but it
still requires a clean install.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Richard on
In his posting of Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Charlie Russel - MVP writes
>Well, there's a lot more functionality in Win7. It's certainly more
>secure. And it is far better supported for drivers and software. Is it
>faster? Probably not, though if you have enough hardware to run 64-bit
>at all, it probably isn't any different in speed. Faster for some
>things, I suspect, though I honestly haven't done any direct tests. The
>real point is that Windows 7 is the future, and Windows XP x64 Edition
>is a dead-end.

Thanks for that. Not sure that this is a problem for some time as
basically this machine is for just running Photoshop very fast when
working with files that start at nearly 2G and can end up being 5G.
Still got Win 2000 installed on the office/Internet computer and it is
fine.

>BTW, there is no direct upgrade available. You'll need to do a clean
>install when you move to Windows 7 64-bit. (You can use an Upgrade
>version, but it still requires a clean install.)

Thanks, I will try to remember this for when the time comes<G>

Cheers

Richard

From: Jim on
On Dec 19, 11:39 am, Richard <rich...(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, I will try to remember this for when the time comes<G>
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,

I think it's all about the money. I have upgraded my X64 machine to
Vista 64-bit and just recently to Windows 7 64-bit. I haven't seen
much change. My machine is still badly screwed up, as it was the last
two times I upgraded. However, Windows 7 has one feature that I
*really* like, which is the ability to *Force* a shutdown of programs
which are locked up in the background. My machine was starting to
take 20 minutes (literally) to shut down. Windows 7 has cut that to
less than 5. Also the networking is *much* improved, particularly
with other Windows 7 machines. Vista was a networking disaster for
me. Nevertheless, I can't say that my hardware is much improved,
other than the startups and shutdowns being quicker, which is not
insignificant.

I hope that helps! :-)

Jim
 |  Next  |  Last