From: RR on
after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install, defrag is
not working.

Error message is as follows:

"MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not have
sufficient access rights to the file. "

I have already reinstalled Windows.
Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this message.
From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
RR wrote:
> after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install,
> defrag is not working.
>
> Error message is as follows:
>
> "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc. This may be
> because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not
> have sufficient access rights to the file. "
>
> I have already reinstalled Windows. Of all the years of working with
> computers I have never seen this message.

I don't have that file anywhere (Win7 Ultimate x64) and my native
defragger works fine. The MS defrag program I have is dfrgui.exe

--
Crash

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~ W. Edwards Deming ~
From: David B. on
Seems your having multiple issues with your system, What version of Windows?
Did you do a repair install or a fresh install?

From: Tom on

"RR" <RR(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install, defrag
> is
> not working.
>
> Error message is as follows:
>
> "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
> This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not have
> sufficient access rights to the file. "
>
> I have already reinstalled Windows.
> Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this
> message.

Which operating system, XP, Vista or Win7?

XP, click Start/Programs/Administrative Tools you should see that there

Vista and Win7, you can simply right on C: (or your system drive letter)
after opening My Computer and choose to defrag from there. Or Click
Start/Help and Support and type defrag in the search field, and you get a
help box with the defrag link in it.

From: TEKMATE on

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
it.
Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
this doesn't answer any your questions though.

--
TEKMATE
TEKMATE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163105.htm

http://forums.techarena.in