From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:57:31 +0200, deloptes wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> If Evolution is working "off-line", switch into "on-line" mode, that
>> should go away the message about "network not available".
>>

> this is the problem the online option (down left) is outblended and
> inactive. I don't understand why.

It could be a bug, but Evolution depends much in network-manager settings
to check the connection status of the computer. Be sure you are indeed
online.

Also, go to "File" menu and look there for any "switch to online" option
you can toggle on.

You can try by launching Evolution being another user (not your usual
one) and from a console, to see any output errors.

> By the way I'm using evolution in KDE4 so may be there is something from
> gnome missing.
>
> I did a test upgrade so may be evolution packages are upgraded but
> dependant were not installed - is it possible?

Check for any updated packages again.

Update manager should care about the required packages and dependancies
that will be upgraded, I doubt you are missing one of them, it should
have warned you if something was missing or broken :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:57:31 +0200, deloptes wrote:
>
>> Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> If Evolution is working "off-line", switch into "on-line" mode, that
>>> should go away the message about "network not available".
>>>

>> this is the problem the online option (down left) is outblended and
>> inactive. I don't understand why.
>
> It could be a bug, but Evolution depends much in network-manager settings
> to check the connection status of the computer. Be sure you are indeed
> online.

does somebody here is using it (also in production)?
I want to cross check some things.
I'm not using network manager, because the stupid thing is waiting for me to
login to connect, but my home is on a network share that I need to have
mounted before I login

> Also, go to "File" menu and look there for any "switch to online" option
> you can toggle on.

be sure I've done this already .. this option is disabled too

> You can try by launching Evolution being another user (not your usual
> one) and from a console, to see any output errors.

this is a good idea, I'll try. I've actually tried but only to see if evo is
running

>> By the way I'm using evolution in KDE4 so may be there is something from
>> gnome missing.
>>
>> I did a test upgrade so may be evolution packages are upgraded but
>> dependant were not installed - is it possible?
>
> Check for any updated packages again.

updating daily

> Update manager should care about the required packages and dependancies
> that will be upgraded, I doubt you are missing one of them, it should
> have warned you if something was missing or broken :-?

thanks - perhaps is the network manager. I'll get it running and check
again.

if someone is reading mails with evolution 2.30 from exchange please give me
a note.

regards

On 2010-05-25, deloptes <deloptes(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
---SNIP---
>> It could be a bug, but Evolution depends much in network-manager settings
>> to check the connection status of the computer. Be sure you are indeed
>> online.
>
> does somebody here is using it (also in production)?
> I want to cross check some things.
> I'm not using network manager, because the stupid thing is waiting for me to
> login to connect, but my home is on a network share that I need to have
> mounted before I login
---SNIP---

If you 'edit' the network connection using network manager and make the
connection available to all users, then the connection will be
established at system startup and before you log in.

I try Evolution with Exchange from time to time, but always find it
buggy. My most recent experience was with Evolution 2.30 on Ubuntu, and
that was no exception. If IMAP can be enabled on the Exchange server, I
would try that protocol instead, using one of a number of suitable
clients.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Liam O'Toole wrote:

> If you 'edit' the network connection using network manager and make the
> connection available to all users, then the connection will be
> established at system startup and before you log in.

how do I make them available to _all_ users?

> I try Evolution with Exchange from time to time, but always find it
> buggy. My most recent experience was with Evolution 2.30 on Ubuntu, and
> that was no exception. If IMAP can be enabled on the Exchange server, I
> would try that protocol instead, using one of a number of suitable
> clients.

imap is no option, big company. For me evolution2.22 with exchange is
working (buggy I admit) but working. It crashes now and then, but I can
live with it and I know how to workaround it.

So you could still access exchange in ubuntu with (after enabling) the
network manager?

thanks and regards

On 2010-05-26, deloptes <deloptes(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Liam O'Toole wrote:
>

>> If you 'edit' the network connection using network manager and make the
>> connection available to all users, then the connection will be
>> established at system startup and before you log in.
>
> how do I make them available to _all_ users?

Right-click the network manager icon and click on "Edit Connections
....". Choose the relevant connection and click on the "Edit" button. At
the bottom left of the new window, check the "Available to all users"
box.

>> I try Evolution with Exchange from time to time, but always find it
>> buggy. My most recent experience was with Evolution 2.30 on Ubuntu, and
>> that was no exception. If IMAP can be enabled on the Exchange server, I
>> would try that protocol instead, using one of a number of suitable
>> clients.
>>

> imap is no option, big company. For me evolution2.22 with exchange is
> working (buggy I admit) but working. It crashes now and then, but I can
> live with it and I know how to workaround it.
>
> So you could still access exchange in ubuntu with (after enabling) the
> network manager?

Yes. Even then, Evolution would freeze or crash several times per day.

> thanks and regards

Welcome.

--
Liam O'Toole