From: Camaleón on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:25:32 +0200, steef wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> I would first try with "nv" driver (no 3D accel) to discard the freeze
>> coming from another source. If using "nv" driver and you get no more
>> freezes, then you can safely blame the nvidia driver and try by
>> searching your same issue in the usual way:

(...)

> thanks for your answers. i tried to install xserver-xorg-video-nv on my
> (simple) machine asusrock g41m-s with the bios adapted. i could of
> course install the nv-driver but this driver did not appesr in /etc/X11.
> maybe a hardware problem: a bad card or something like that???

As Andrei already posted, you need to define what driver to use. So,
after installing "nv" package you have to add the following lines in /etc/
X11/xorg.conf

***
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nv"
EndSection
***

And the restart.

Once you login, look at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to check the NV driver
is being loaded correctly.

> before that i tried (after having used the newest nvidia-driver) it with
> several older nvidia-drivers, startting with the 185 && grom their site.
> no good results: my machine-screens keep freezing with a moving mouse
> and anything else stuck completely. again: a hardware problem???

Hard to tell.

Nvidia drivers were having some problems with KDE4 (2/3 years ago) when
compositing was enabled but nowadays these erros should have gone.

> yut i am not stuck myself. i hung my hanss-g cable on the onboard
> intel-x4500 chip, loaded up xserver-xorg-video-intel and now everything
> is working ok, but somewhat less sophisticated): i can go on keeping the
> books of our business.
>
> please! some further suggestions??

Try to load "nv" driver and see what happens.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camale�n wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:25:32 +0200, steef wrote:
>

>> Camale�n wrote:
>>
> (...)
>

>>> I would first try with "nv" driver (no 3D accel) to discard the freeze
>>> coming from another source. If using "nv" driver and you get no more
>>> freezes, then you can safely blame the nvidia driver and try by
>>> searching your same issue in the usual way:
>>>

> (...)
>

>> thanks for your answers. i tried to install xserver-xorg-video-nv on my
>> (simple) machine asusrock g41m-s with the bios adapted. i could of
>> course install the nv-driver but this driver did not appesr in /etc/X11.
>> maybe a hardware problem: a bad card or something like that???
>>
> As Andrei already posted, you need to define what driver to use. So,
> after installing "nv" package you have to add the following lines in /etc/
> X11/xorg.conf
>
> ***
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "nv"
> EndSection
> ***
>
> And the restart.
>
> Once you login, look at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to check the NV driver
> is being loaded correctly.
>

>> before that i tried (after having used the newest nvidia-driver) it with
>> several older nvidia-drivers, startting with the 185&& grom their site.
>> no good results: my machine-screens keep freezing with a moving mouse
>> and anything else stuck completely. again: a hardware problem???
>>
> Hard to tell.
>
> Nvidia drivers were having some problems with KDE4 (2/3 years ago) when
> compositing was enabled but nowadays these erros should have gone.
>

>> yut i am not stuck myself. i hung my hanss-g cable on the onboard
>> intel-x4500 chip, loaded up xserver-xorg-video-intel and now everything
>> is working ok, but somewhat less sophisticated): i can go on keeping the
>> books of our business.
>>
>> please! some further suggestions??
>>
> Try to load "nv" driver and see what happens.
>
> Greetings,

thank you, camale�n.

i replaced already the "nvidia"-driver with "nv" and the
freezing-problem disappeared complaetely (so: no hardware problem) but
kaffeine behaves funny on .avi and or .mpeg4 files &&. that is, i think,
because of the fact that i use (just to try out) the upstart-file that
the sgfxi script made in my X11 file (the last time i installed the
latest nvidia-driver out of /usr/local/bin with the sgfxi-script. very
convenient!

now i gonna follow your advice and put back my native debian xorg.conf
into X11 and put your 'section-advice' in it and see what hasppens,
especially with kaffeine (and gmplayer, svn variant)

thank you very much and also thanks for everybody who took time to
answer to my problem;

i'll let you know what happens

many regards,

steef

Camale�n wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:25:32 +0200, steef wrote:
>

>> Camale�n wrote:
>>
> (...)
>

>> <.............>
>>
>> please! some further suggestions??
>>
> Try to load "nv" driver and see what happens.
>
> Greetings,

.............and that is what i did. kaffeine is still giving trouble
with mpeg4-files &&. so i loaded again the intel-driver. this driver or
chip (x4500) is definitely of better quality than the combination
geforce 9400 & and the nv-driver. my conclusion: no hardware-problem,
just a disastrous by-effect of the latest nvidia-driver from their site
on the hardware-combination (?)of my machine.

so be it till another nvidia-driver will come up or another pci-express
card.

thank you very much, you all have illuminated me!

steef

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 05:48:28 +0200, steef wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> please! some further suggestions??
>>>
>> Try to load "nv" driver and see what happens.
>>

> ............and that is what i did. kaffeine is still giving trouble
> with mpeg4-files &&. so i loaded again the intel-driver. this driver or
> chip (x4500) is definitely of better quality than the combination
> geforce 9400 & and the nv-driver. my conclusion: no hardware-problem,
> just a disastrous by-effect of the latest nvidia-driver from their site
> on the hardware-combination (?)of my machine.

Yes, quite posible.

> so be it till another nvidia-driver will come up or another pci-express
> card.
>
> thank you very much, you all have illuminated me!

Just another thing to try.

Issue "lspci | grep VGA" and put here the output.

If your nvidia card is indeed 9400 GT you can try the nvidia driver
available within Debian repositories. I am using that with my old
nvidia 7600 GS and have no problems at all.

In fact, I've also got them installed for my Quadro NVS 440:

***
sm01(a)stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-glx 173.14.09-5 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64 173.14.09+3+lenny1 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26
ii nvidia-kernel-common 20080825+1 NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
***

I followed the steps provided at Debian wiki (pre-built modules):

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camale�n wrote:

>>> Try to load "nv" driver and see what happens.
>>>

>> ............and that is what i did. kaffeine is still giving trouble
>> with mpeg4-files&&. so i loaded again the intel-driver. this driver or
>> chip (x4500) is definitely of better quality than the combination
>> geforce 9400& and the nv-driver. my conclusion: no hardware-problem,
>> just a disastrous by-effect of the latest nvidia-driver from their site
>> on the hardware-combination (?)of my machine.
>>
> Yes, quite posible.
>

>> so be it till another nvidia-driver will come up or another pci-express
>> card.
>>
>> thank you very much, you all have illuminated me!
>>
> Just another thing to try.
>
> Issue "lspci | grep VGA" and put here the output.
>
> If your nvidia card is indeed 9400 GT you can try the nvidia driver
> available within Debian repositories. I am using that with my old
> nvidia 7600 GS and have no problems at all.
>
> In fact, I've also got them installed for my Quadro NVS 440:
>
> ***
> sm01(a)stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
> ii nvidia-glx 173.14.09-5 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
> ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64 173.14.09+3+lenny1 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26
> ii nvidia-kernel-common 20080825+1 NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
> ***
>
> I followed the steps provided at Debian wiki (pre-built modules):
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>
> Greetings,

here it comes:

steef(a)debianlennynw:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0641 (rev a1)
steef(a)debianlennynw:~$

I'll look into that wiki (again),

it can take some time before i answer again: got to take care of my
family now,

kind reg.,

steef