From: Camaleón on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 06:50:05 +0200, steef wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Just another thing to try.
>>
>> Issue "lspci | grep VGA" and put here the output.

(...)

> here it comes:
>
> steef(a)debianlennynw:~$ lspci | grep VGA 00:02.0 VGA compatible
> controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics
> Controller (rev 03) 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia
> Corporation Device 0641 (rev a1)

So, do you have the two VGA cards enabled? I also have an Intel embedded
card but IIRC, I disabled it in the BIOS as soon as I plugged the nvidia
card (7600 GS).

OTOH, it seems that device ID corresponds to nvida 9400 GT. So I would
test with the nvidia Debian drivers. If they do not work, you can always
come back and activate the Intel one.

> I'll look into that wiki (again),
>
> it can take some time before i answer again: got to take care of my
> family now,

Take your time. Family is first :-)

Saludos,

--
Camaleón

Camale�n wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 06:50:05 +0200, steef wrote:
>

>> Camale�n wrote:
>>

>> here it comes:
>>
>> steef(a)debianlennynw:~$ lspci | grep VGA 00:02.0 VGA compatible
>> controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics
>> Controller (rev 03) 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia
>> Corporation Device 0641 (rev a1)
>>
> So, do you have the two VGA cards enabled? I also have an Intel embedded
> card but IIRC, I disabled it in the BIOS as soon as I plugged the nvidia
> card (7600 GS).

yes, that is correct. with my mobo you have to change by hand i n the
Bios from 'onboard' to pci &&.
> OTOH, it seems that device ID corresponds to nvida 9400 GT.
that 's correct too.
> So I would
> test with the nvidia Debian drivers. If they do not work, you can always
> come back and activate the Intel one.

that is what i did when the nvidia drivers from *their site* worked out
disastrously

>> I'll look into that wiki (again),

it is almost like the old days of potato and woody. had to fresh up my
old brain again. so i installed nvidia-glx and the other required
packages. that 's nowadays much easier than in the wiki thanks to apt if
you start with <sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx>

after that i put the appropriate sections in my /etx/X11/xorg.conf.
nvidia instead of in tel and i made a module section with Load "glx" in it.

i restarted the X-server and now *everything is working like a charm*

he camale�n, i really owe you, man! you really helped me out.

many regards,

steef

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:53:20 +0200, steef wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> So I would
>> test with the nvidia Debian drivers. If they do not work, you can
>> always come back and activate the Intel one.
>>

> that is what i did when the nvidia drivers from *their site* worked out
> disastrously

I fear newer drivers.

The first time I installed nvidia proprietary drivers was 3/4 years ago.
In that time I was running openSUSE 10.1 and hopefully, nvidia provided
rpm drivers in their site so installation went straightforward (very easy
and worked fine: I needed 3D for running Google Earth and Twinview setup
for the two displays I had attached).

That time (and that time was 4 years ago) I installed the same drivers I
have nowadays (173.xx). Why I have not updated to the latest ones
(195.x)? Because "if it works, don't touch it" and I don't needed to do
fancy things in that computer and the old version was (and is still)
working without glitches.

>>> I'll look into that wiki (again),
>>>

> it is almost like the old days of potato and woody. had to fresh up my
> old brain again. so i installed nvidia-glx and the other required
> packages. that 's nowadays much easier than in the wiki thanks to apt if
> you start with <sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx>

Yes, I have also encountered the "Debian-way" plain easy. I thought
installing nvidia drivers was going to be a headache but truly was not :-)

> after that i put the appropriate sections in my /etx/X11/xorg.conf.
> nvidia instead of in tel and i made a module section with Load "glx" in
> it.
>
> i restarted the X-server and now *everything is working like a charm*
>
> he camaleón, i really owe you, man! you really helped me out.
>
> many regards,

Glad you got it working! :-D

You're welcome.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> steef wrote:
>> hi folk,
>>
>> got myself a asusrock standard atx mobo with a gforce 9400 (nvidia) in
>> a pci-express slot. i have to use the 195 4driver from *their* site.
>> the standard lenny driver for nvidia does not support this hardware.
>> (or am i wrong??)
>>
>> well: everything works fine except for ane thing: sometimes, quite
>> unexspected, my screen freezes completely; a nuisance.
>>
>> somebody with maybe the same experience and a solution for this driver
>> problem?
>>

> Hi Steef,
>
> I just got through with a frozen screen, etc. problem.
>
> The solution was upgrading X to the latest level and installing Nvidia's
> latest upstream driver:
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.15/
>
> You have a link for your mobo?
>
> PS I always use Nvidia's upstream drivers.
>
> Hugo

I bet you mean 'asrock' instead of 'asusrock'

Hugo

anyone having problems with their Nvidia card and drivers should first
consult Lennart Sorensen's HOWTO:

http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html

also it is essential to have the xorg's 'nv' "driver" handy if you get
kicked back to the console on startx after an Nvidia upgrade.

i.e. edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf -remove 'nivida' and replace with 'nv'

very handy when the compile fails.

and it will.