From: Peter Pan on
"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:42:17 +0100, alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, mm
>>chose
>>the tried and tested strategy of:
>>
>>> In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the
>>> router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.
>>>
>>> Today I noticed that the computer in the basement, two flights down
>>> and 20 feet horizontally, I get 180.0 Mbps.
>>
>>In both cases that's the raw speed. With the wireless however, the
>>overheads
>>are a lot higher, so the actual usable throughput you get from the
>>wireless
>>may be less than the wired connection.
>
> Thank goodness for that. I like wire, and I don't like to see it
> dissed. Air otoh is promiscuous.
>
>> Another thought that strikes me is
>>that the speed will always be shown as 180Mbps regardless of the quality
>>of
>>the wireless signal. Move to the edge of your wireless range and see if it
>>still reports a 180Mbps connection.
>
> I'd need bigger arms and a longer cord. I do have a laptop, but
> haven't used it for a year or two. It's mostly for travel or showing
> people photos.
>
>>> B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?
>>
>>Yes. If you have an inefficient OS [or more likely, inefficient network
>>drivers] or a slow CPU, you may hit other bottlenecks before the network
>>speed.
>>
>>If you want to test this yourself, you can use a synthetic bandwidth
>>testing
>>tool like iperf [or maybe that's iPerf].
>
> I'll look into that.
>
> I don't do anything requiring speed, except sometimes dl'ing video.
> Maybe I'll do some of that to see if I can see a difference.
>
> Thanks.

hate to say it but it's a flat out bald faced lie.... wireless ethernet is
never ever in reality faster than wired ethernet, but some manufacturers put
a phony lieing number on the screen so people think they are doing what they
arent faster.... drivers can display any number they choose (real or not)
on the icon on the system tray.... run most benchmark programs, and the max
speed for wireless is 54, wired 100