From: mm on
I have a router, and I'm hoping someday to have a little home network.

No time to work on that now, but I'm happy that the wired and wireless
connections work.

In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the
router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.

Today I noticed that the computer in the basement, two flights down
and 20 feet horizontally, I get 180.0 Mbps.

A. What's up with that?

Is it faster in the air because air is "thinner" than wire? If it
were fudge, would it be somewhere in the middle?

If it matters, the first computer is 800 Mhz running XP sp3, and
the basement computer is 1300 Mhz win2000 sp4.

B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?

From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, mm chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the
> router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.
>
> Today I noticed that the computer in the basement, two flights down
> and 20 feet horizontally, I get 180.0 Mbps.

In both cases that's the raw speed. With the wireless however, the overheads
are a lot higher, so the actual usable throughput you get from the wireless
may be less than the wired connection. Another thought that strikes me is
that the speed will always be shown as 180Mbps regardless of the quality of
the wireless signal. Move to the edge of your wireless range and see if it
still reports a 180Mbps connection.

> B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?

Yes. If you have an inefficient OS [or more likely, inefficient network
drivers] or a slow CPU, you may hit other bottlenecks before the network
speed.

If you want to test this yourself, you can use a synthetic bandwidth testing
tool like iperf [or maybe that's iPerf].

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
20:34:33 up 2 days, 8:02, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.24, 0.64

From: Mike Easter on
mm wrote:

> In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the
> router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.

There are ethernet nic/s that just do 100 Mbit/s. Also that do 1000.
And some 1 Gigs. Enterprise 10/40/100 gigs developing.

> If it matters, the first computer is 800 Mhz running XP sp3, and
> the basement computer is 1300 Mhz win2000 sp4.
>
> B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?

The card or the mobo implementation of a nic matters.

--
Mike Easter
From: mm on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:55:49 -0700, Mike Easter <MikeE(a)ster.invalid>
wrote:

>mm wrote:
>
>> In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the
>> router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.
>
>There are ethernet nic/s that just do 100 Mbit/s. Also that do 1000.
>And some 1 Gigs. Enterprise 10/40/100 gigs developing.

I forgot that my nic is 100/1000.

>> If it matters, the first computer is 800 Mhz running XP sp3, and
>> the basement computer is 1300 Mhz win2000 sp4.
>>
>> B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?
>
>The card or the mobo implementation of a nic matters.

Well, an other guy set up the fast one, and I just plugged in the
seemingly slower XP one.

Either speed is fast enough. I just wanted to know what is going on.

Thanks.
From: mm on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:42:17 +0100, alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, mm chose
>the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the
>> router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.
>>
>> Today I noticed that the computer in the basement, two flights down
>> and 20 feet horizontally, I get 180.0 Mbps.
>
>In both cases that's the raw speed. With the wireless however, the overheads
>are a lot higher, so the actual usable throughput you get from the wireless
>may be less than the wired connection.

Thank goodness for that. I like wire, and I don't like to see it
dissed. Air otoh is promiscuous.

> Another thought that strikes me is
>that the speed will always be shown as 180Mbps regardless of the quality of
>the wireless signal. Move to the edge of your wireless range and see if it
>still reports a 180Mbps connection.

I'd need bigger arms and a longer cord. I do have a laptop, but
haven't used it for a year or two. It's mostly for travel or showing
people photos.

>> B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?
>
>Yes. If you have an inefficient OS [or more likely, inefficient network
>drivers] or a slow CPU, you may hit other bottlenecks before the network
>speed.
>
>If you want to test this yourself, you can use a synthetic bandwidth testing
>tool like iperf [or maybe that's iPerf].

I'll look into that.

I don't do anything requiring speed, except sometimes dl'ing video.
Maybe I'll do some of that to see if I can see a difference.

Thanks.