From: Todd Allcock on

"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

> It either gets out of sync fairly easily,
> or my friends and clients are bizarre. ;)
> Worse, it has no tool to get the database back in sync.

I'm the last guy in the world to defend iTunes- I think it's ugly,
completely unintuitive, bloated, and I only use it out of necessity since my
wife has an iPhone. In short, in an amazing irony, iTunes is the epitome of
everything Mac zealots blame Windows software for being.

Having said that, in nearly two years of steady use, I've had absolutely
zero problems with the iTunes library, and part of that time I was using my
prior PC, which had a nasty habit of spontaneously rebooting randomly at
least once a day, (which led to its replacement) so the "database gets
corrupt during system crash" scenario was certainly possible in my setup-
I'd had reboots during iPhone syncs! Yet I've had zero trouble. (To be
fair, my Zune and WMP library databases also had no problems either.)

I fully realize I'm only one data point, but I felt it was important to
weigh in considering the flakey system I ran it on for several months, which
would wreak more havoc on a database than a typical system.

I, too, would curious to know exactly what problems/symptoms your
friends'/clients' databases had. "Out of sync" means what, exactly? The
iPod claimed the song was played 3 times but was really played 4? It's
rated 3 stars on the computer, but 4 on the phone? Or the iPod thinks "The
Safety Dance" is on the iPod but it isn't there when you select it?

I realize I may have missed the window of opportunity, since you
unilaterally declared the discussion closed.

(Ridiculous level of crossposting removed.)

From: nospam on
In article <qTYKn.24947$Ak3.7617(a)newsfe16.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

> I, too, would curious to know exactly what problems/symptoms your
> friends'/clients' databases had. "Out of sync" means what, exactly? The
> iPod claimed the song was played 3 times but was really played 4? It's
> rated 3 stars on the computer, but 4 on the phone? Or the iPod thinks "The
> Safety Dance" is on the iPod but it isn't there when you select it?

i too am curious, but he won't say, probably because no problem
actually exists.

> I realize I may have missed the window of opportunity, since you
> unilaterally declared the discussion closed.

you did not miss any explanation of any problem or what steps were
taken to fix it other than the potential of a system crash (not itunes
crash) corrupting files.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 17:16:26 -0600, "Todd Allcock"
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in <qTYKn.24947$Ak3.7617(a)newsfe16.iad>:

>I, too, would curious to know exactly what problems/symptoms your
>friends'/clients' databases had. "Out of sync" means what, exactly? ...
>
>I realize I may have missed the window of opportunity, since you
>unilaterally declared the discussion closed.

I was only referring to that particular subthread, which was clearly
going nowhere.

The most common iTunes database problems in my experience are:
1. Tracks in the database that are missing from the library.
2. Tracks in the library that are missing from the database.
3. Corrupted Playlists.
Other database problems can result from:
a. Attempts to sync iDevices with more than one computer.
b. Attempts to copy or move iTunes libraries between computers,
especially those with different directory structures.
c. iTunes copy protection and device authorization.

>(Ridiculous level of crossposting removed.)

Unilateral change of cross-posting restored.
--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: nospam on
In article <thpov55c1d5jo8lj84lo3m74592afcgvp3(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> The most common iTunes database problems in my experience are:
> 1. Tracks in the database that are missing from the library.

did the user remove the songs? they don't just disappear by themselves.

> 2. Tracks in the library that are missing from the database.

were they added properly? that sounds like user error.

> 3. Corrupted Playlists.

corrupted how?

> Other database problems can result from:
> a. Attempts to sync iDevices with more than one computer.

nope. that's fully supported.

> b. Attempts to copy or move iTunes libraries between computers,
> especially those with different directory structures.

also supported.

> c. iTunes copy protection and device authorization.

there is no longer any copy protection on itunes music and when there
was, it did not corrupt the database.

> >(Ridiculous level of crossposting removed.)
>
> Unilateral change of cross-posting restored.

it's more than necessary.
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>(Ridiculous level of crossposting removed.)
>
> Unilateral change of cross-posting restored.

That's right, you insist upon cingular as an existing entity ... to give
yourself a purpose for existing.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.