From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-12 03:31, daniele wrote:
> On 03/12/10 07:42, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
>> nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
>> I switch to Squeeze.
>>
>> In particular:
>>
>> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
>> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
>> Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
>> circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
>> over-size characters.
>>
>> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
>> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
> Hello Paul,
>
> As of my experience the automatic configuration did not work so I
> manually configured the resolution following these steps (----NOTEs :
> change the values to suit your hardware and be sure the video card
> supports the resolution and try to also follow xorg.conf man page ---)
>

> 1 - I found the suggested monitor resolution (1920x1080(a)60Hz) in the
> User Manual
>
> 2 - I used the "gtf" utility to calculate a vesa compliant ModeLine,
> running at the command prompt the following:
>
> gtf 1920 1080 60
>
> 3 - I Inserted in xorg.conf (section Monitor) the ModeLine that I got in
> step 2 (naming it "1920x1080_60.00")
>
> 4 - I set up VertRefresh e HorizSync (section Monitor) according to the
> monitor specs
>
> 5 - I inserted in xorg.conf (section Screen, subsection Display) in the
> Modes option listing the already found "1920x1080_60.00" ModeLine

What monitor, video card, video driver and x.org version do you use?

"This" auto-configured perfectly:
- Hanns-G HH251
- Nvidia 7300SE
- nividia v190.42 blob
- every Sid x.org since Nov-2009

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:54:49 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Camaleón,

> I would try first to get the recommended resolution (1366x768(a)60) by
> using "xrandr" on-the-fly to test things:

IM(admittedly limted)E, if X doesn't get the resolution right, xrandr
won't be able to detect it any better.

Here, X runs at 1280x1024, but the monitor is capable of 1680x1050

xrandr outputs;

Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 0.0*
1024x768 0.0
800x600 0.0
640x480 0.0

Note the maximum is incorrect. In fact, doing "X -configure" resulted
in errors, so I've got to write an xorg.conf file to sort the issue out.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

You're the psychotic daughter of a psychotic mother
Pure Mania - The Vibrators
From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:35:16 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:54:49 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
> Hello Camaleón,
>
>> I would try first to get the recommended resolution (1366x768(a)60) by
>> using "xrandr" on-the-fly to test things:
>
> IM(admittedly limted)E, if X doesn't get the resolution right, xrandr
> won't be able to detect it any better.

To be sincere, nowadays that X in "dinamically" setup, I'm not sure.

I had previous experiences with xorg configuration that couldn't properly
detect the display resolution but just by forcing it (writing up in
xorg.conf file) it just worked :-?

> Here, X runs at 1280x1024, but the monitor is capable of 1680x1050

Also, using a digital output -DVI instead VGA- (if available) can help X
to detect the screen size and adjust it accordingly.

> xrandr outputs;
>
> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
> default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x1024 0.0*
> 1024x768 0.0
> 800x600 0.0
> 640x480 0.0
>
> Note the maximum is incorrect. In fact, doing "X -configure" resulted in
> errors, so I've got to write an xorg.conf file to sort the issue out.

Another thing to look into is the driver in use. Different drivers
deliver different results. Yes, I know that not everyone likes using
closed drivers but is just another option to test.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:42:16 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:

> I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> I switch to Squeeze.
>
> In particular:
>
> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
> Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
> circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
> over-size characters.
>
> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
>
> Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Paul, please provide the following information:

(1) Make and model of your computer
(2) Make and model of your video card
(3) Make and model of your monitor
(4) Your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
(5) The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

More information

On 20100312_092355, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:42:16 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> > nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> > I switch to Squeeze.
.... snip

Both Lenny and Squeeze on this computer are recent, clean installations,
each in its own separate partition. Both installations were done with
tasksel set for Desktop Environment and Base System. The log file is
from the Squeeze install, which is the one that I am most desireous of
fixing.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net