From: Brad Rogers on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:13:04 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Camaleón,

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:35:16 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > IM(admittedly limted)E, if X doesn't get the resolution right, xrandr
> > won't be able to detect it any better.
> To be sincere, nowadays that X in "dinamically" setup, I'm not sure.

My experience relates to now. However, what I'm seeing is an
improvement on what I got about 6 months ago, when X woudn't even start
on this hardware.

> I had previous experiences with xorg configuration that couldn't
> properly detect the display resolution but just by forcing it (writing
> up in xorg.conf file) it just worked :-?

Which is what I'll be doing tonight, probably.

> Also, using a digital output -DVI instead VGA- (if available) can help
> X to detect the screen size and adjust it accordingly.

Sadly, not an option; No DVI o/p on this machine.

> Another thing to look into is the driver in use. Different drivers
> deliver different results. Yes, I know that not everyone likes using
> closed drivers but is just another option to test.

I'm not that bothered about whenther I use nv or nvidia, so yes, that
opens another avenue for me to explore.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it
No Time To Be 21 - The Adverts
From: Paul E Condon on
On 20100312_102211, John W Foster wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
> Hi Paul:
> I read thru the install log from xorg & it looks like everything is
> doing as it should. I am wondering if this new flat screen is a
> letterbox shaped screen or a standard shaped screen. I suspect this is
> an "aspect ratio" issue rather than a "screen resolution" issue though
> it may be a combination of both. I have little experience with the
> letterbox screens but I am planing to buy one soon & am studying the
> list & other tings for compatibility as I do not want to incur this type
> of issue. Please post your solution when you get it going correctly.
> Best wishes!
> --
> John Foster

The pixels are specified to be 0.252mm(H)x0.252mm(V), which implies an
aspect ratio of 1366:768. This is close to 16:9, but not exact. To be
exact would have to be e.g. 1366:768.375 or 1365.333:768. Both have
fractional number of pixels, which of course is impossible. So there
must be some 'engineering hack'. I have no idea what ugly hacks are
done to make beautiful Xwindows design concept fit with ugly real world
of integer arithmetic ;-)

What really puzzles me is the fact that two recent installs of X arrive
at different kludge solutions -on-the-same-hardware-.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
I switch to Squeeze.

In particular:

The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
over-size characters.

I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.

Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

John W Foster wrote:
> [...]
X --configure (as root); alter the xorg.conf as desired, test it with X
--config <xorg.conf.filename>, and if you like it, copy the file in
/etc/X11/ as xorg.conf

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:11:14PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
[...]
> OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
>
> Your Integrated graphics card is
>
> > (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
>
> I thought at first that the stuff within parentheses might be the chipset.
> But I found out later that I was wrong. We'll see why in a minute.
> X chose the "savage" driver. It lists the chipsets which it supports.
>
> > (II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
> > Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
> > Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,

[... snip a lot of great stuff...]

> After tossing out all the modes that aren't supported by the video BIOS,
> or that won't work for some other reason, it decides to reduce the virtual
> screen size.
>
> > (--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
>
> And things are all downhill from there.
>
> The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is that
> the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.
>
> The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is
>
> Option "UseBIOS" "off"
>
> This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
> and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.

I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
file. nice job.