From: Wayne on
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:11:14PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> [...]
>> OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
>>
>> Your Integrated graphics card is
>>
>>> (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
>> I thought at first that the stuff within parentheses might be the chipset.
>> But I found out later that I was wrong. We'll see why in a minute.
>> X chose the "savage" driver. It lists the chipsets which it supports.
>>
>>> (II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
>>> Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
>>> Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,
>
> [... snip a lot of great stuff...]
>
>> After tossing out all the modes that aren't supported by the video BIOS,
>> or that won't work for some other reason, it decides to reduce the virtual
>> screen size.
>>
>>> (--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
>> And things are all downhill from there.
>>
>> The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is that
>> the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.
>>
>> The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is
>>
>> Option "UseBIOS" "off"
>>
>> This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
>> and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.
>
> I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
> file. nice job.

+1 X 10

Wayne

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:36:27 -0500 (EST), Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
> file. nice job.

Well, there was other stuff in the log that I skipped over because it
wasn't relevant to the problem. But thanks. I am grateful to those
from whom I learned this stuff.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:36:27AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:11:14PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
> >
> > Your Integrated graphics card is
> >
> > > (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
> >
> > I thought at first that the stuff within parentheses might be the chipset.
> > But I found out later that I was wrong. We'll see why in a minute.
> > X chose the "savage" driver. It lists the chipsets which it supports.
> >
> > > (II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
> > > Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
> > > Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,
>
> [... snip a lot of great stuff...]
>

> > After tossing out all the modes that aren't supported by the video BIOS,
> > or that won't work for some other reason, it decides to reduce the virtual
> > screen size.
> >
> > > (--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
> >
> > And things are all downhill from there.
> >
> > The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is that
> > the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.
> >
> > The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is
> >
> > Option "UseBIOS" "off"
> >
> > This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
> > and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.
>
> I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
> file. nice job.

'Twas a truly great read, even for the clueless.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

On 10-03-12 13:11:14, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:58:08 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> > (--) SAVAGE(0): probed videoram: 32768k
>
> Plenty of video RAM to do true color mode even at 1366x768
> resolution.
>
> 1366x768x24/1024 = 24588k; 1366x768x32/1024 = 32784k.
> Hmm. If we have to use 32 bits of RAM per pixel, we may not have
> enough. We'll see about that later.

You did the math wrong. Use bytes, not bits. Also allow for 3
buffers.

(1366*768*3*3)/1024 = 9220K
(1366*768*4*3)/1024 = 12294K

On 3/12/2010 10:22 AM, John W Foster wrote:
> [...]

I never heard of 1366x768, this seems non-standard to me. A wide screen
monitor might be 1440x900. What is the diagonal measurement in inches
or centimeters? What is the aspect ratio? 4:3, 3:2, 16:10, 16:9?
(1366x768 is physically 16:9 assuming square pixels)

I am asking such silly-seeming questions because xorg.conf these days
tends to be ignored by the Xservers if it seems inconvenient to the
driver+server. That is, in my experience, if the monitor is
plug-and-play, then X goes by whatever the monitor hardware reports, and
xorg.conf might as well not exist.

For the record, my experiences have been with early Squeeze and Sid.

Mark Allums

(Also, Virtualbox, but my difficulties with X under vbox, I attributed
to vbox, since the vbox X driver needs help knowing what the size of the
view is---and why it's important to install the "additions" helper.)