From: Stephen Powell on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:34:15 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-03-13 13:57, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> As I mentioned in another post,
>> there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
>> be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor. I don't like that trend at all.
>

> Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??

Possibly, but not likely. In the early days, some of the cheapest
monitors did not have protection circuitry that will shut them
down if they are driven beyond safe limits. But as another poster pointed
out, any monitor modern enough to support plug-and-play (DDC2/EDID)
is almost certain to have internal protection circuitry that will
shut it down if driven outside of safe limits.

Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I? I'm an engineer. Give me full
control. If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

Stephan Powell writes:
> But an explicit configuration statement should always, in my opinion,
> be able to override any probed value.

I agree. "It might damage the monitor" would not really be an excuse
even if there were vulnerable EDID monitors. "Newbies" are not going to
put modelines in xorg.conf: they will never have heard of it. Software
should do as it is told.
--
John Hasler

Stephen Powell writes:
> But I want a way to override things if the defaults are not to my
> liking. As I mentioned in another post, there are some things, such
> as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot be overridden for a
> plug-and-play monitor.

You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...
--
John Hasler

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:13:17 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
> Stephen Powell writes:
>> But I want a way to override things if the defaults are not to my
>> liking. As I mentioned in another post, there are some things, such
>> as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot be overridden for a
>> plug-and-play monitor.
>
> You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...

Well, I suppose I *could*. But I don't like that solution.
Changing the software to allow overrides is what I want.

On 3/13/2010 4:51 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:13:17 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
>> Stephen Powell writes:
>>> But I want a way to override things if the defaults are not to my
>>> liking. As I mentioned in another post, there are some things, such
>>> as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot be overridden for a
>>> plug-and-play monitor.
>>
>> You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...
>
> Well, I suppose I *could*. But I don't like that solution.
> Changing the software to allow overrides is what I want.

No need to destroy a cable. Just create an adapter. Pin 12 goes in,
but doesn't come out.*

MAA

* "Roaches check in, but they don't check out."