From: Mark Allums on
On 3/8/2010 5:33 PM, thib wrote:

> More info relative to my last post: if you want to use KVM, you do
> *need* the modified qemu software provided by the kvm package (which
> really points to qemu-kvm). These changes are currently pushed upstream
> [1]. I hope it clears any ambiguity.

> [1] http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

I think that is what he wanted to know, and I'm glad I brought it back
up when the topic appeared to die, because I made such a muddle of
answering it.

However, I myself am now failng to understand the difference between the
two. Are you saying that one package is simply a meta- or virtual
package pointing to the other, and that installing one installs the other?

MAA

Mark Allums wrote:
> Sorry, there is some (more) confusion. I was referring to the original
> post, which seemed to me to be about a completely different topic.

Are we reading the same original post?

"Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and qemu-kvm
packages for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it
should be able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this."

I thought it was pretty clear.

> [...]
>
> In short, there are lots of choices for Debian beside QEMU. Consider them.
>
> qemu/kvm/qemu-kvm:
>
> I don't think there is a significant difference between the two packages
> anymore; you can choose which to use based on convenience rather than
> performance.

Gee, don't add some more confusion :-)
kvm is qemu-kvm
Soon, qemu will include qemu-kvm code.

So, in the end, qemu = qemu-kvm = kvm. Talking about Debian userspace
utilities packages only, of course - using qemu without the kvm kernel
subsystem will be different than using qemu alone.

-thib

On 3/8/2010 8:37 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
> Are you saying that one package is simply a meta- or virtual
> package pointing to the other, and that installing one installs the other?

Because I just tried that (in Squeeze), and the two are mutually
exclusive. You can install one or the other, but not both, And the
versioning numbers bear no resemblance (not that they should).

MAA

(Need more sleep)

Mark Allums wrote:
> However, I myself am now failng to understand the difference between the
> two. Are you saying that one package is simply a meta- or virtual
> package pointing to the other, and that installing one installs the other?

Exactly. In squeeze, kvm is still a virtual package provided by qemu-kvm
[1]. In sid, it's already a dummy transitional package [2].

I guess the qemu and qemu-kvm package will eventually merge when the kvm
specific code will be imported by qemu upstream (if it ever is, I actually
haven't followed any discussion about that, just the note on the kvm project
frontpage [3]).

Again, this package only provides userspace utilities; the actual kvm
subsystem code is in the mainstream kernel and thus should be included in
any stock kernel.

Well, that's my understanding of the situation anyway, I'm in no way
involved with the development of these projects.

-thib

[1] http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/kvm
[2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/kvm
[3] http://www.linux-kvm.org/