From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-14 11:12, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-04-13 15:53, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anybody install a recent motherboard that they are happy with?
>>> I am due for an upgrade and there are too many choices.
>>>

>> Come on, man... You should know the drill.
>>
>> Specify:
>>
>> o budget
>> o needed features
>> o preferred features
>>

> budget - any
>
> needed features - desktop configuration, at least 2 PCI express slots -
> ATX form factor
>
> preferred features - runs with Debian

ATX means you'll get lots of built-in features. I like my Gigabyte
GA-MA780G-UD3H mobo with AM2+/AM2 socket.

8GM RAM, 6 SATA, 1 (or 2, I forget) rear eSATA, lots of USB, a front
and rear Firewire and decent on-board audio. On-board ATI video
with separate video RAM, but I installed a fanless NVIDIA card
because the driver situation is *simple*, and it's fast.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-14 11:12, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Come on, man... You should know the drill.
>>>
>>> Specify:
>>>
>>> o budget
>>> o needed features
>>> o preferred features
>>>

>> budget - any
>>
>> needed features - desktop configuration, at least 2 PCI express slots
>> - ATX form factor
>>
>> preferred features - runs with Debian
>>

> ATX means you'll get lots of built-in features. I like my Gigabyte
> GA-MA780G-UD3H mobo with AM2+/AM2 socket.
>
> 8GM RAM, 6 SATA, 1 (or 2, I forget) rear eSATA, lots of USB, a front and
> rear Firewire and decent on-board audio. On-board ATI video with
> separate video RAM, but I installed a fanless NVIDIA card because the
> driver situation is *simple*, and it's fast.

Too bad it's a NewEgg outofstock item:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128382

Hugo

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom put forth on 4/13/2010 3:53 PM:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anybody install a recent motherboard that they are happy with?
>> I am due for an upgrade and there are too many choices.
>
> It would help if you told us what the primary use of the machine will be.
> Server or desktop? If desktop, heavy 3D apps?
>
> Either way, avoid onboard RealTek ethernet as it's not currently supported
> well by Debian. One might be able to make it work, but the process requires
> some serious hoop jumping.

That's a real pain.
NewEgg has no filter on netcards for mobo's

Hugo

On 2010-04-15 13:55, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> budget - any
>>>
>>> needed features - desktop configuration, at least 2 PCI express slots
>>> - ATX form factor
>>>
>>> preferred features - runs with Debian
>>>

>> ATX means you'll get lots of built-in features. I like my Gigabyte
>> GA-MA780G-UD3H mobo with AM2+/AM2 socket.
>>
>> 8GM RAM, 6 SATA, 1 (or 2, I forget) rear eSATA, lots of USB, a front
>> and rear Firewire and decent on-board audio. On-board ATI video with
>> separate video RAM, but I installed a fanless NVIDIA card because the
>> driver situation is *simple*, and it's fast.
>>

> Too bad it's a NewEgg outofstock item:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128382

Probably superseded by a newer model.

Do you need/want:
o on-board video?
o latest/greatest CPU?
o Intel or AMD?
o to buy new RAM?

On 2010-04-15 13:55, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

>> ATX means you'll get lots of built-in features. I like my Gigabyte
>> GA-MA780G-UD3H mobo with AM2+/AM2 socket.
>>
>> 8GM RAM, 6 SATA, 1 (or 2, I forget) rear eSATA, lots of USB, a front
>> and rear Firewire and decent on-board audio. On-board ATI video with
>> separate video RAM, but I installed a fanless NVIDIA card because the
>> driver situation is *simple*, and it's fast.
>>

> Too bad it's a NewEgg outofstock item:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128382

This looks like the successor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128411