From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-18 15:10, Clive McBarton wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> ATX means you'll get lots of built-in features. I like my Gigabyte
>> GA-MA780G-UD3H mobo with AM2+/AM2 socket.
>>
>> 8GM RAM, 6 SATA, 1 (or 2, I forget) rear eSATA, lots of USB, a front and
>> rear Firewire and decent on-board audio. On-board ATI video with
>> separate video RAM, but I installed a fanless NVIDIA card because the
>> driver situation is *simple*, and it's fast.
>
> That's good to hear, and it makes me curious. Does the "simple" refer to
> the open-source or the closed-source NVIDIA driver?

Yes. There's only two (although there are multiple versions of the
binary driver).

ATI has r128, radeon, radeonhd, fglrx and catalyst.

> And is it general
> consensus that NVIDIA is easier to deal with than ATI?

I think so...

> After all, you
> installed a card after you already had on-board graphics.
>
> Also, I vagely recall having heard that a 64bit-OS might be trickier to
> deal with when it comes to graphics drivers.

Maybe with ATI cards, but not Nvidia. Both the nv and nvidia
drivers come in 32 and 64 bit versions.

> Is that true? Here I see 8
> Gig of RAM, hence presumably a 64bit system.

The beauty of modern 64-bit archs is that you can have a 32-bit
distro with a 64-bit kernel.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

First  |  Prev  |