From: James Kosin on
On 12/24/2009 3:16 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Honestly, it won't make much if any difference. You can move the page
> file using the System applet in the Control Panel (sysdm.cpl), and
> clicking on the Advanced Tab, Performance Options, Advanced Tab, Virtual
> Memory->Change button. Temp files are controlled by the Environment
> Variables button on the first of those Advanced tabs. I don't think you
> can easily change the hibernate file.
>
> But, as I said, I don't think you'll gain anything noticable.

I agree, the old days; one moved these files to a different drive to
increase performance. The IDE interface was able to simultaneously
access both drives at the same time reducing the overhead of having the
pagefile on the same partition as the OS.

With much faster drives these days; you'd probably not notice the small,
insignificant increase.

Oh, by the way another partition on the same drive doesn't count!

From: Poutnik on
In article <u1gagTRhKHA.3792(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS(a)hotmail.com says...

> Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive will
> only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
> system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to extra
> drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive, on
> the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two drives
> must share the resources of the same controller.

Even if drives share the same computer resources,
they do not share their disk heads.

Disks are faster then before,
but speed of disks grows much slower than speed of computers,
being their bottleneck. There is much time spent
by disk head travelling.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
From: Richard Urban on
With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources fluctuate
back and forth.

With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
simultaneously!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

From: Peter Rubens on
OK so there is no gain in speed.
But what about fragmentation, there will be no more fragmentation......
That is the gain.

From: Poutnik on

> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS(a)hotmail.com> schreef in
bericht
> > With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
> > reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources
> > fluctuate back and forth.
> >
> > With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
> > simultaneously!

But, IMHO,
the IDE or SATA disk bus waits for the disk much more often,
then the opposite.

It can work with one disk,
while waiting for the other
to write data from disk cache,
or until data to be read are ready in disk cache.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Win7 Start Sound
Next: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit