From: Ron Johnson on
On 07/03/2010 10:34 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
[snip]

> Q: What do you call a man who speaks only one language?
> A: An American. :-)

We speak the primary language of the from Nome AK to Miami FL (7200
km) and San Diego CA to St. John's NL (5550 km).

Thus, there is little pressure for "us" to learn any language other
than English.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 06:39, lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> USB sucks for keyboard connections :(((( The one I had to use before
> was an USB keyboard, and the responses to keystrokes were a hell of a
> lot slower than they are now with the PS/2 connection. It might be due
> to the keyboard, but I think it's an USB problem.

I suspect it's more likely a problem of individual models of keyboards.
I have never noticed lag attributable to the keyboard/connection with
my USB keyboards (I actually just had some lag typing this, but
experience indicates that's just Mozilla). And it is really amazing how
shoddy some models/brands can be in various ways. USB does have
more latency in general, but it shouldn't be noticeable to humans.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:15:58 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:
>

> Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>    Driver         "kbd"
>    Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
>    Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
>    Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
> EndSection
>

> I was lucky that the keyboard settings in KDE use setxkbmap with some
> options when you enable keyboard layouts. That helped me to find out
> that there's no 'Option "XkbVariant" "de"'. Once I got a good setting
> playing around with that, I used 'xmodmap -pke' to create a keymap
> which I edited to change the layout the way I wanted it. It's being
> loaded from my ~/.xinitrc now.

For multilingual settings I'm using US Layout, and I have additional option in

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
EndSection

It works just fine, considering that I've laptop without 104 keys. And
I can write
in every Latin based alphabet. And I have to write in polish. Here is table for
of compose keys: http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html
On wiki you can (?) read about it. Though if you have to write only in German
"de" layout should suffice.

May The Source be with you.
--
darkestkhan
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 06:31:59 -0400 (EDT), Tomasz Maluszycki wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:15:58 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:
>>

>> Section "InputDevice"
>>    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>>    Driver         "kbd"
>>    Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
>>    Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
>>    Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
>> EndSection
>>

>> I was lucky that the keyboard settings in KDE use setxkbmap with some
>> options when you enable keyboard layouts. That helped me to find out
>> that there's no 'Option "XkbVariant" "de"'. Once I got a good setting
>> playing around with that, I used 'xmodmap -pke' to create a keymap
>> which I edited to change the layout the way I wanted it. It's being
>> loaded from my ~/.xinitrc now.
>
> For multilingual settings I'm using US Layout, and I have additional option in
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> Option "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
> EndSection
>
> It works just fine, considering that I've laptop without 104 keys. And
> I can write
> in every Latin based alphabet. And I have to write in polish. Here is table for
> of compose keys: http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html
> On wiki you can (?) read about it. Though if you have to write only in German
> "de" layout should suffice.
>
> May The Source be with you.

I don't know what model of laptop you have, but most laptops have a way
to emulate the numeric keypad keys and therefore emulate a standard
keyboard layout. See, for example, the section titled
"Configuring the X Server" on this web page for the IBM ThinkPad 600:

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm

In this case, the internal keyboard of the IBM ThinkPad 600, which
physically has only 85 keys, can emulate a pc101 keyboard, which has
101 keys. (The differences between a 101-key keyboard and a 104-key
keyboard are the two logo keys and the menu key which were introduced
for the benefit of that ubiquitous operating system which must not
be named.) If your laptop does not have or cannot emulate those keys,
as is the case for the IBM ThinkPad 600, then you should define the
keyboard as pc101.

Switching from the X console to a text console with Ctrl+Alt+Fx (x=1-6)
or zapping the X server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace do not require the use
of emulated keys, but changing resolutions with Ctrl+Alt+Numplus or
Ctrl+Alt+Numminus, where Numplus and Numminus are the + and - keys on
the numeric keypad, respectively, do require making use of the emulated
keys.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:34:52AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 09:39:53 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Keyboard0"
> > Driver "kbd"
> > Option "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> > Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
> > Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> > EndSection
> >

> Are you running Lenny? I thought all that stuff was dynamically
> sensed in Squeeze.

Testing --- no idea if an xorg.conf is needed, but it works now :) But
then, how do you tell the X server to use the nvidia driver or what
keyboard you have without an xorg.conf?

> > Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> If I recall correctly, you had a 101-key IBM Model M keyboard, is
> >> that correct?
> >
> > Aren't they 102 keys?
>
> If I recall correctly, the US version has 101 keys; and the international
> version has 102 keys. The shape of the Enter key on the main portion
> of the keyboard (as opposed to the numeric keypad) is the easiest way
> to tell the difference. The international version has a key cap for
> the Enter key that has the shape of a backwards capital L. The US
> version has an Enter key with a rectangular shape. At the risk of
> boring you with mind-numbing detail, here is the physical layout of the
> US version, which is the one I have:
>
> Esc F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 Print_Screen Scroll_Lock Pause
> ` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace Insert Home Page_Up Num_Lock / * -
> Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ] \ Delete End Page_Down Home Up_Arrow PgUp +_(top_half)
> Caps_Lock a s d f g h j k l ; ' Enter Left_Arrow noop_(5_when_shifted) Right_Arrow
> Shift z x c v b n m , . / Shift Up_Arrow End Down_Arrow PgDn Enter_(top_half)
> Ctrl Alt Space_Bar Alt Ctrl Left_Arrow Down_Arrow Right_Arrow Ins Del
>
> That's 101 keys.

Hm, the cap on the enter key is rectangular but at the top has an
outcropping which probably is what makes you referring to the
L. However, there are German keyboards that have this L-shaped enter
key. There are different versions of US keyboards as well, though
there might be only one version of the Model M.

It's qwertz, of course, jkl��# Enter, the Alt Key on the right side is
labled "AltGr", and the Ctrl keys are labled "Strg" --- whatever these
are supposed to mean.

Besides that, the German layout is unsuited for computers because keys
like "/", "~" and the brackets are at pretty inaccessible locations
(like Shift-7 for "/" and AltGr for "{"). That's something I changed.

If you're interested, I can send you my .Xmodmap ... There are some
pictures on [1]. Unfortunately, they don't have an email address which
prevents me from asking how much the shipping would be ...

[1]: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html