From: lee on
Hi,

what could be the reason why I can't switch from X11 to consoles with
Alt+Fx anymore? It's also not possible to kill the X session with
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, though this feature is not turned off in the
xorg.conf. I'm using fvwm-crystal as a window manager.

This has been going on for a quite a while now, but just now I had to
press reset button because I couldn't get out of X11 anymore :( I want
the default behaviour that allows switching and zapping back ...

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:31:15 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> what could be the reason why I can't switch from X11 to consoles with
> Alt+Fx anymore?

You never could. You need Ctrl too. For example, switching from the
X console to text console number 1 requires

Ctrl+Alt+F1

And last I knew, you had to use the left Alt key,
not the right Alt key (AltGr). To switch *back* to the X console
from a text console, you don't need Ctrl. For example, to switch
from text console number 1 to the X console you can use

Alt+F7

(assuming that the X server is on vt 7, which, unfortunately, is not
always the case due to a bug. Sometimes it's on vt 8, vt 9, etc.)

> It's also not possible to kill the X session with
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, though this feature is not turned off in the
> xorg.conf. I'm using fvwm-crystal as a window manager.

I think I remember seeing somewhere that DontZap is now enabled
by default. If you want it off, it has to be explicitly
disabled. But I'm going from memory here.

> This has been going on for a quite a while now, but just now I had to
> press reset button because I couldn't get out of X11 anymore :( I want
> the default behaviour that allows switching and zapping back ...

If you want to be absolutely sure, use

Option "DontZap" false
Option "DontVTSwitch" false

in the Serverflags section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
I think you have to use the left Alt key with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace too,
though I can't swear to it.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 05:13:46PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:31:15 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > what could be the reason why I can't switch from X11 to consoles with
> > Alt+Fx anymore?
>
> You never could. You need Ctrl too. For example, switching from the
> X console to text console number 1 requires
>
> Ctrl+Alt+F1

Oh, sorry, that was a typo. I meant to type Ctrl+Alt+Fn, of course.

> And last I knew, you had to use the left Alt key,
> not the right Alt key (AltGr).

None of them do it ...

> > It's also not possible to kill the X session with
> > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, though this feature is not turned off in the
> > xorg.conf. I'm using fvwm-crystal as a window manager.
>
> > press reset button because I couldn't get out of X11 anymore :( I want
> > the default behaviour that allows switching and zapping back ...
>
> If you want to be absolutely sure, use
>
> Option "DontZap" false
> Option "DontVTSwitch" false
>
> in the Serverflags section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
> I think you have to use the left Alt key with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace too,
> though I can't swear to it.

What I have is:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "DontZap" "off"
EndSection

Neither switching to consoles is possible, nor terminating the X
server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 05:44, lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 05:13:46PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:31:15 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee(a)yun.yagibdah.de>
> wrote:
> > > what could be the reason why I can't switch from X11 to consoles with
> > > Alt+Fx anymore?
> >
> > You never could. You need Ctrl too. For example, switching from the
> > X console to text console number 1 requires
> >
> > Ctrl+Alt+F1
>
> Oh, sorry, that was a typo. I meant to type Ctrl+Alt+Fn, of course.
>
> > And last I knew, you had to use the left Alt key,
> > not the right Alt key (AltGr).
>
> None of them do it ...
>
> > > It's also not possible to kill the X session with
> > > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, though this feature is not turned off in the
> > > xorg.conf. I'm using fvwm-crystal as a window manager.
> >
> > > press reset button because I couldn't get out of X11 anymore :( I want
> > > the default behaviour that allows switching and zapping back ...
> >
> > If you want to be absolutely sure, use
> >
> > Option "DontZap" false
> > Option "DontVTSwitch" false
> >
> > in the Serverflags section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
> > I think you have to use the left Alt key with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace too,
> > though I can't swear to it.
>
> What I have is:
>

> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Layout0"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
> Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> Option "DontZap" "off"
> EndSection
>

> Neither switching to consoles is possible, nor terminating the X
> server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

> listmaster(a)lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20100626001447.GB4336(a)yun.yagibdah.de

Try "chvt n" where n is the same as n of Fn. similary "chvt 7" from a text
console should bring you back to your x session.
From: Sascha Silbe on
Excerpts from lee's message of Fri Jun 25 20:31:15 +0000 2010:

> what could be the reason why I can't switch from X11 to consoles with
> Alt+Fx anymore? It's also not possible to kill the X session with
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, though this feature is not turned off in the
> xorg.conf. I'm using fvwm-crystal as a window manager.
I'm assuming you're running squeeze, not lenny.

> This has been going on for a quite a while now, but just now I had to
> press reset button because I couldn't get out of X11 anymore :( I want
> the default behaviour that allows switching and zapping back ...
No idea why VT switching doesn't work for you. To get Ctrl+Alt+BS working
again you need to change /etc/default/keyboard:

XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

If you have Magic SysRq enabled in your kernel (IIRC the default Debian
kernel does), you can use that instead of reset the next time you need
it. Press:
AltGr+SysRq+S (SysRq=S-Abf on a german keyboard) to sync disks,
AltGr+SysRq+U for emergency unmount of all file systems,
AltGr+SysRq+B to reboot or AltGr+SysRq+O to power down (on many systems
only one of B and O works).
There are more key combinations (see Documentation/sysrq.txt in the Linux
kernel source), but these are the most important ones.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/