From: Kumar Appaiah on
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 06:40:14PM -0500, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:30:32 +0100, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about acroread in squeeze i386? The only reason here to maintain
> > a computer with squeeze is to provide a needed tool to scientists. Why
> > acroread acroread-mozilla acroread-plugins can't be found on
> > debian-multimedia i386 squeeze/testing? We have to run more expensive
> > and more energy demanding 64-bit machines with lenny to have such
> > packages. Curious about the reason why squeeze has no efficient pdf
> > reader.
>
> There are plenty of very good free pdf readers in squeeze:
>
> evince
> xpdf
> konqueror

Konqueror? I thought kpdf and Okular; I know for a fact that kpdf
embeds into Konqueror (I may be wrong, though).

Kumar
--
"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?"
Microsoft spel chekar vor sail, worgs grate !!

vi lovers and minimalists should look into apvlv for yet another GTK
alternative:
http://code.google.com/p/apvlv/

And since we're talking about squeeze:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/apvlv

-thib

2010/2/28 Francesco Pietra <chiendarret(a)gmail.com>:
> Do you see any mistake in my sources.list?
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze  main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze main non-free
>
> # deb http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/debian-multimedia/ testing main
> # deb-src http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/debian-multimedia/ testing main
>
> deb http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/MacMolPlt/debian squeeze main
> deb-src http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/MacMolPlt/debian squeeze main
>
>  Still unable to find acroread.
> thanks
> francesco

You're right, it is not present in squeeze multimedia repos, but i
think the sid version should work fine.
You can find it here:
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/non-free/a/adobereader-enu/acroread_9..3.1-0.0_i386.deb

--
enzotib

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Vincenzo Tibullo <enzotib(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> They moved to non-free, see http://debian-multimedia.org/.
>>
>> --
>> enzotib
>>

>> 2010/2/28 Francesco Pietra <chiendarret(a)gmail.com>:
>>> What about acroread in squeeze i386? The only reason here to maintain
>>> a computer with squeeze is to provide a needed tool to scientists. Why
>>> acroread acroread-mozilla acroread-plugins can't be found on
>>> debian-multimedia i386 squeeze/testing? We have to run more expensive
>>> and more energy demanding 64-bit machines with lenny to have such
>>> packages. Curious about the reason why squeeze has no efficient pdf
>>> reader.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> francesco pietra

Unfortunately, for dealing with most editors of scientific journals,
and for personal use of the scientific literature, either as author or
referee, neither the readers you mention, nor any one other I know
except acroread, are enough. Because of these problems (which are not
unique to acroread), most my colleagues have turned to either
Microsoft or Apple for the desktop. I intend to stick to Debian also
for the desktop, but such affairs are wasting our time. We can not
devote more time to have acroread running than for a scientific code.
At present, the second task has become easier that the trivial affair
of having office tools running.

I am also surprised about the Debian policy for deb packages of
scientific code: they provide the last version for testing or sid,
while scientific code is run on stable Debian. So, the developer do
much work for nothing.

This criticism is intended to be constructive, so that I have extended
this reply to Debian and Vincenzo, who kindly tried to help.

Have a nice day
francesco

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 09:08 +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Unfortunately, for dealing with most editors of scientific journals,
> and for personal use of the scientific literature, either as author or
> referee, neither the readers you mention, nor any one other I know
> except acroread, are enough. Because of these problems (which are not
> unique to acroread), most my colleagues have turned to either
> Microsoft or Apple for the desktop. I intend to stick to Debian also
> for the desktop, but such affairs are wasting our time. We can not
> devote more time to have acroread running than for a scientific code.
> At present, the second task has become easier that the trivial affair
> of having office tools running.

Umm... what exactly is wrong with xpdf? I use it routinely, authoring
and refereeing. I find it light and fast. evince works too, though I
find xpdf faster. I do not understand your problem.

Drew