From: Francesco Pietra on
What about acroread in squeeze i386? The only reason here to maintain
a computer with squeeze is to provide a needed tool to scientists. Why
acroread acroread-mozilla acroread-plugins can't be found on
debian-multimedia i386 squeeze/testing? We have to run more expensive
and more energy demanding 64-bit machines with lenny to have such
packages. Curious about the reason why squeeze has no efficient pdf
reader.

thanks
francesco pietra

enzotib

Francesco Pietra <chiendarret(a)gmail.com> writes:

> What about acroread in squeeze i386? The only reason here to maintain
> a computer with squeeze is to provide a needed tool to scientists. Why
> acroread acroread-mozilla acroread-plugins can't be found on
> debian-multimedia i386 squeeze/testing? We have to run more expensive
> and more energy demanding 64-bit machines with lenny to have such
> packages. Curious about the reason why squeeze has no efficient pdf
> reader.

Out of curiosity, what is particularly inefficient about Okular or
Evince?

Tyler

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> What about acroread in squeeze i386? The only reason here to maintain
> a computer with squeeze is to provide a needed tool to scientists. Why
> acroread acroread-mozilla acroread-plugins can't be found on
> debian-multimedia i386 squeeze/testing? We have to run more expensive
> and more energy demanding 64-bit machines with lenny to have such
> packages. Curious about the reason why squeeze has no efficient pdf
> reader.

I am running 386 acroread on a 686 squeeze box with the only problem
being the print option for Odd an Even pages works backwards.

I have not been able to use acroread on my 64bit box for months now.

Same goes for cups, OK on 386, none on 64 bit. Both running squeeze.

Wayne

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:30:32 +0100, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What about acroread in squeeze i386? The only reason here to maintain
> a computer with squeeze is to provide a needed tool to scientists. Why
> acroread acroread-mozilla acroread-plugins can't be found on
> debian-multimedia i386 squeeze/testing? We have to run more expensive
> and more energy demanding 64-bit machines with lenny to have such
> packages. Curious about the reason why squeeze has no efficient pdf
> reader.

There are plenty of very good free pdf readers in squeeze:

evince
xpdf
konqueror

jamie.