From: Carlos Williams on
I am trying to install Debian (Testing) via 'netinst' disk and for
some reason am completely unable to install Debian w/o Exim. It
appears that Cron is a default package and depends on Exim. Does
anyone know how I can completely omit this from a fresh Debian
install? When I run:

apt-get remove --purge exim4

I am still left with tons of man pages, config files, user accounts
(Debian-exim) for the application I just removed. Basically I am left
with a bunch if orphaned junk files for an application I never wanted
to have installed to begin with.

Any advice?

*PS - I am trying to use Postfix for a replacement MTA and even when I
install Postfix, it auto removes Exim4 however still leaves all the
orphaned files and junk.*

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 02:59:23PM -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian (Testing) via 'netinst' disk and for
> some reason am completely unable to install Debian w/o Exim. It
> appears that Cron is a default package and depends on Exim. Does
> anyone know how I can completely omit this from a fresh Debian
> install? When I run:
>
> apt-get remove --purge exim4
>
> I am still left with tons of man pages, config files, user accounts
> (Debian-exim) for the application I just removed. Basically I am left
> with a bunch if orphaned junk files for an application I never wanted
> to have installed to begin with.
>
> Any advice?

I use nullmailer in these situations

> *PS - I am trying to use Postfix for a replacement MTA and even when I
> install Postfix, it auto removes Exim4 however still leaves all the
> orphaned files and junk.*

could this be because you have removed and not purged the package ?

--
"We need to counter the shockwave of the evildoer by having individual rate cuts accelerated and by thinking about tax rebates."

- George W. Bush
10/04/2001
Washington, DC
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Monday 01 March 2010 13:59:23 Carlos Williams wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian (Testing) via 'netinst' disk and for
> some reason am completely unable to install Debian w/o Exim. It
> appears that Cron is a default package and depends on Exim.

Or any other mail-transport-daemon.

> Does
> anyone know how I can completely omit this from a fresh Debian
> install?

I think installing postfix at the same time or before cron should do it. I
usually install a very minimal system and them build up from there outside of
the installer.

I can't remember if this brought in exim4-daemon-light.

> When I run:
>
> apt-get remove --purge exim4

I'm not sure exactly how apt-get handles this situation, but the exim4 package
doesn't contain most of the files that are part of an exim4 installation. The
binaries are shipped in package exim4-daemon-light or exim4-daemon-heavy; the
docs are in another package; the debconf stuff is in exim4-config.

So, even though you specified 'remove' and '--purge', I'm not convinced you've
told your package manager to get rid of all files exim4-related.

> I am still left with tons of man pages, config files, user accounts
> (Debian-exim) for the application I just removed. Basically I am left
> with a bunch if orphaned junk files for an application I never wanted
> to have installed to begin with.

IIRC, user accounts aren't removed, even on purge. Something do to with not
wanting the have the UID get reused by an unrelated program. I could be wrong
though, e.g. if that UID (range) is statically allocated by Debian.

> Any advice?

After installing an alternate mail-transport-agent (aptitude search '~c'). If
that shows any packages, you may want to (aptitude purge '~c').

> *PS - I am trying to use Postfix for a replacement MTA and even when I
> install Postfix,

Postfix works well in the Debian environment, or so I'm told.

> it auto removes Exim4 however still leaves all the
> orphaned files and junk.*

I'm not convinced this is a statement of fact, but depending on how the
installer does things it could be accurate.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Richard Hector on
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 14:59 -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian (Testing) via 'netinst' disk and for
> some reason am completely unable to install Debian w/o Exim.

[...]
> I am trying to use Postfix

Yes. Perhaps we need a 'really expert' installation mode, where every
time there's an option like (cron):
Recommends: exim4 | postfix | mail-transport-agent

it asks you what option you want :-)

Actually it looks like preseeding may be able to help - I need to have
another look later.

Richard

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Carlos Williams <carloswill(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian (Testing) via 'netinst' disk and for
> some reason am completely unable to install Debian w/o Exim. It
> appears that Cron is a default package and depends on Exim. Does
> anyone know how I can completely omit this from a fresh Debian
> install? When I run:

In Lenny (not sure if its changed as of Squeeze), its the "standard
system" task that installs exim4. Don't install this task and install
your preferred MTA after installation.

--
Jordan Metzmeier