From: DanS on
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in

<SNIP>
For example, in a crowded football
> stadium, 50,000 cell phones, each radiating perhaps 1 mw of
> RF, will produce the same exposure as a 50 watt high power
> transmitter. The average home might have 100 assorted
> oscillating devices, each with an LO running 24 hours per
> day. I suggest a national campaign be started, warning the
> general population of the dangers of LO radiation, and
> demanding that the government do something about it.

Seriously ? (Or said tongue-in-cheek ?)
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:15:17 -0500, DanS
<t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in
>
><SNIP>
>For example, in a crowded football
>> stadium, 50,000 cell phones, each radiating perhaps 1 mw of
>> RF, will produce the same exposure as a 50 watt high power
>> transmitter. The average home might have 100 assorted
>> oscillating devices, each with an LO running 24 hours per
>> day. I suggest a national campaign be started, warning the
>> general population of the dangers of LO radiation, and
>> demanding that the government do something about it.
>
>Seriously ? (Or said tongue-in-cheek ?)

Seriously, your should never take anything I suggest seriously.

I lied. It's more like 10 microwatts, not 1 milliwatt if it meets FCC
part 19 incidental radiator, and about 100 times worse after some
mechanical case or shield damage.

Let's do the math and see how badly I screwed up. LO radiation is
typically about -60dBm at the antenna. If there are multiple leaks,
it might climb to maybe -50dBm.
-50 dbm = 0.00001 milliwatts = 10 microwatts = 1*10^-8 watts
50,000 such cell phones would belch:
5*10^4 * 1*10^-8 = 5*10-4 watts = 50 milliwatts
(not 50 watts). If each cell phone radiated 1 mw, then we might have
a problem. In addition, the LO is not always powered on in a cell
phone, where the battery save algorithm only turns it on during the
proper time slot. Exposure would have to be reduced by the duty
cycle.

Extra credit for estimating the total LO radiation for the continental
USA. Figure on about 100-500 billion devices.

Perhaps we should try calculating how much 2.4GHz energy is delivered
when we're out in the noon day sun to see if a tin foil hat is
required. Total energy is about 1000 watts per square meter, mostly
in the visible light region. Still, there's plenty of power in the
microwave region.

I'll do the math when I return from from lunch and a bike bicycle.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:39:14 -0400, Kimmy Boyer <KimaBoyer(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My bet is that you suck as a businessman.

None of your business, man.