From: didier gaumet on
Le Sun, 2 May 2010 12:17:54 -0700,
Peter Tenenbaum <quarkpt(a)gmail.com> a écrit :

> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
> Debian linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which
> uses an AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> The Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware
> (ie, fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive /
> negative experience installing Debian on this computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -PT

Hi Peter,

No personal experience with the Gateway LT21 but last month I bought
a Dell New Mini 10 (Inspiron 1012 (1012_9118)) which has an Intel atom
N450 (64 bits dual core 1.66GHz, integrated GMA3150 graphics card in the
chip). I think Debian Testing and Unstable are not presently up-to-date
enough to run on this hardware (mostly due to
xserver-xorg-video-intel). I installed both Archlinux and Debian
Testing on it. Under Archlinux all works (X11, HD video, wifi, webcam,
integrated DVB-T) excepted resume after hibernation which blanks the
screen (this works perfectly under Debian Testing).
This small beast is sufficiently powerfull for my usage. Roughly, 2x3300
BogoMIPS compared to the 3500 BogoMIPS my 15" Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop
bought in spring 2006 (Celeron M 1.6GHz).
Unfortunately, the 1366x768 screen is glossy and I find the touchpad
lousy.

My two cents.

On 05/02/2010 10:39 PM, Mark Allums wrote:

>> Size. A little almost-handheld netbook just isn't as physically in
>> danger of cracking in your knapsack as a 15" or 17" laptop.
>
> I have no idea what you even mean by that. Totally non-sequitur.

It's harder to crack a small plywood board than it is to crack a
large plywood board. Likewise, an ultra-thin 10" netbook should be
less prone to cracking than an ultra-thin 15" notebook.

That's just my theory, though.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 5/3/2010 3:54 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 10:39 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
>> On 5/2/2010 9:35 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Size. A little almost-handheld netbook just isn't as physically in
>>> danger of cracking in your knapsack as a 15" or 17" laptop.
>>
>> I have no idea what you even mean by that. Totally non-sequitur.
>>

> It's harder to crack a small plywood board than it is to crack a large
> plywood board. Likewise, an ultra-thin 10" netbook should be less prone
> to cracking than an ultra-thin 15" notebook.
>
> That's just my theory, though.

Most netbooks (at least the ones I have seen) are relatively flimsy.

They are not "almost-handheld". They are much larger than that.

I was listing advantages of netbooks over notebooks and laptops, but
size is not one of them, _at_least_for_me_. They are too small. The
screens are too small for my eyesight, the keyboards are too small for
my hands, and so on.

YMMV, I suppose.

MAA

On 05/03/2010 04:13 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
[snip]

> I was listing advantages of netbooks over notebooks and laptops, but
> size is not one of them, _at_least_for_me_. They are too small. The
> screens are too small for my eyesight, the keyboards are too small for
> my hands, and so on.
>
> YMMV, I suppose.

I'm actually waiting for decently-priced dual-core netbooks.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Hi, everyone --

I guess I should clarify my desirement for 64-bit. There are two things
here. First, I intend to build a home computer which will run linux, and it
will be 64-bit; since I'm quite new to maintaining my own linux computers,
I'd rather limit the number of differences between the home machine and my
portable. Second is just a desire to avoid early obsolescence in the
portable, since at some point I expect 64 bit to become the standard and
32-bit to fade into the past. That day may not be near, and in any event it
may be crazy to worry about obsolescence of a computer which costs less than
an iPod, but that's just the way I roll.

It also sounds like the respndents to my first message are underwhelmed by
netbooks in general and recommend that I look at a low-end notebook / laptop
computer instead. I confess that the distinction is a bit blurry to me.

In any event, with those caveats, perhaps I should ask more generally for
recommendations of netbooks or smallish laptops which people recommend as
being compatible with Debian linux.

Thanks again,
-PT

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Peter Tenenbaum <quarkpt(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install Debian
> linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which uses an
> AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Gateway LT21
> looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie, fairly low-end but
> 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative experience installing Debian
> on this computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -PT

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: ibook g3 no sound
Next: boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro