From: Peter Tenenbaum on
I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install Debian
linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which uses an
AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Gateway LT21
looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie, fairly low-end but
64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative experience installing Debian
on this computer?

Thanks in advance,
-PT
From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/02/2010 02:17 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
> Debian linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which uses
> an AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions? The
> Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie,
> fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative
> experience installing Debian on this computer?

Apart from the coolness factor, *why* 64 bit on a netbook?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 02:17 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
>>
>> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
>> Debian linux on it when / if I do.  I'd also like to get one which uses
>> an AMD64-class processor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The
>> Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie,
>> fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative
>> experience installing Debian on this computer?
>>

> Apart from the coolness factor, *why* 64 bit on a netbook?
>
> --
> Dissent is patriotic, remember?

I think it's a better choice in a netbooks or notebook with AMD Vision
enabled, and they're 64bit capable.

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"

On 05/02/2010 04:05 PM, Victor Padro wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> On 05/02/2010 02:17 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
>>> Debian linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which uses
>>> an AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions? The
>>> Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie,
>>> fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative
>>> experience installing Debian on this computer?
>>>

>> Apart from the coolness factor, *why* 64 bit on a netbook?
>>

> I think it's a better choice in a netbooks or notebook with AMD Vision
> enabled, and they're 64bit capable.

But you don't say *why* 64 bits is better on a netbook.

I'll give you one big reason why it's a bad idea: binary wireless
drivers. (Netbooks ae highly integrated and your choices are
limited, since most use the same small set of mobos.)

On 5/2/2010 2:17 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
> Debian linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which uses
> an AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions? The
> Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie,
> fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative
> experience installing Debian on this computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -PT

I have not installed Debian on this *particular* machine, but I have had
some experience in general.

Netbooks are underpowered. Get a *real* notebook/laptop. You can get a
much better computer for about the same money. The only advantage I can
see in a netbook is battery life. I speak from experience.

I have briefly had Linux installed on an Eee PC. It performs better in
some ways, but I saw no real advantage other than the usual advantages
that Linux has over Win/Mac.

At the time, I struggled with drivers. That situation has probably
improved.

My Eee PC's Atom CPU is single-core, 32-bit. This is appropriate
because the machine cannot support more than 2GB of RAM anyway, and it
is never used for anything except "net" things: web+email.

64-bit is overkill for a netbook. If you get a "real" machine, 64-bit
might be useful. But for netbook-class machines, save your money.

MAA

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: ibook g3 no sound
Next: boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro