From: Mark Allums on
On 5/3/2010 4:29 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> Hi, everyone --
>
> I guess I should clarify my desirement for 64-bit. There are two things
> here. First, I intend to build a home computer which will run linux,
> and it will be 64-bit; since I'm quite new to maintaining my own linux
> computers, I'd rather limit the number of differences between the home
> machine and my portable. Second is just a desire to avoid early
> obsolescence in the portable, since at some point I expect 64 bit to
> become the standard and 32-bit to fade into the past. That day may not
> be near, and in any event it may be crazy to worry about obsolescence of
> a computer which costs less than an iPod, but that's just the way I roll.
>
> It also sounds like the respndents to my first message are underwhelmed
> by netbooks in general and recommend that I look at a low-end notebook /
> laptop computer instead. I confess that the distinction is a bit blurry
> to me.
>
> In any event, with those caveats, perhaps I should ask more generally
> for recommendations of netbooks or smallish laptops which people
> recommend as being compatible with Debian linux.
>
> Thanks again,
> -PT

I was a respondent who questioned the netbook route, but I see now that
there may be good reasons to prefer one.

However, most netbooks are deliberately crippled, such as allowing only
1 or 2 GB of memory when there is no technical reason why 4 GB shouldn't
work. It is a matter of segmenting a market, and manufacturers want
netbooks to have specific capabilities for marketing reasons, not
technical ones.

I wanted to suggest that you choose a machine based on your needs, and I
wanted you to question your initial assumptions.

However, I see you have done some thinking about it, and future-proofing
*does* seem like a good reason to get a dual-core, 64-bit machine.

With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
machine that can use 4 GB of memory.

I suggest also that you make sure that the machine you get can use
solid-state storage devices. In time, the advantages of SSDs will make
them compelling, though now they are too expensive. That is, you will
probably buy a machine with a standard notebook HD, but if you ever need
to replace it, being able to replace it with an SSD gives you another
option. This also is in the area of future-proofing.

Just a couple of suggestions. I would like to hear more from other
people. (I am also contemplating a portable computer purchase.)

MAA

On Monday 03 May 2010 22:13:05 Mark Allums wrote:
> Most netbooks (at least the ones I have seen) are relatively flimsy.
>
> They are not "almost-handheld".  They are much larger than that.
>
> I was listing advantages of netbooks over notebooks and laptops, but
> size is not one of them, _at_least_for_me_.  They are too small.  The
> screens are too small for my eyesight, the keyboards are too small for
> my hands, and so on.
>
> YMMV, I suppose.

The size and weight are extremely important for some of us. I actually have
physical difficulty carrying a laptop + charger etc. for any length of time.
A netbook I can manage.

"YMMV" would be fair enough, but I found that "I suppose" patronising. Not
everyone in the world is male, fully fit and young. Some of us are none of
those.

Lisi

On 5/3/2010 5:02 PM, Lisi wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2010 22:13:05 Mark Allums wrote:
>> Most netbooks (at least the ones I have seen) are relatively flimsy.
>>
>> They are not "almost-handheld". They are much larger than that.
>>
>> I was listing advantages of netbooks over notebooks and laptops, but
>> size is not one of them, _at_least_for_me_. They are too small. The
>> screens are too small for my eyesight, the keyboards are too small for
>> my hands, and so on.
>>
>> YMMV, I suppose.
>
> The size and weight are extremely important for some of us. I actually have
> physical difficulty carrying a laptop + charger etc. for any length of time.
> A netbook I can manage.
>
> "YMMV" would be fair enough, but I found that "I suppose" patronising. Not
> everyone in the world is male, fully fit and young. Some of us are none of
> those.
>
> Lisi

It was not meant as patronising. It was meant as, oops, I goofed,
sorry. I'm male, but not young, just only moderately (in)experienced
with Debian, and I have other attributes which aren't flattering, either.

It's true, I have a hard time understanding the appeal of a tiny thing
like a typical netbook. Thank you for reminding me that there are other
perspectives.

MAA

Mark Allums wrote:

> With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
> machine that can use 4 GB of memory.

I also found that people underestimate the importance of L2/3 cache. I'm
compiling very often and it's really faster on my developer's notebook with
4M cache then on faster CPU with 512K. The difference is in the terms of
4-8 times.
I've noticed that there is only 512K cache in the most netbooks which makes
then unsuitable for development. ATM this is stopping me from buying one.
Do you know if there are some with larger cache?

regards

On 5/3/2010 6:20 PM, deloptes wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>
>> With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
>> machine that can use 4 GB of memory.
>>

> I also found that people underestimate the importance of L2/3 cache. I'm
> compiling very often and it's really faster on my developer's notebook with
> 4M cache then on faster CPU with 512K. The difference is in the terms of
> 4-8 times.
> I've noticed that there is only 512K cache in the most netbooks which makes
> then unsuitable for development. ATM this is stopping me from buying one.
> Do you know if there are some with larger cache?
>
> regards

I do not know, but I would guess that it is dependent on the CPU. A
particular ARM or Atom chip may have a particular amount of on-chip cache.

Choosing one's machine carefully would include knowing what type of CPU
is in it.

MAA

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: ibook g3 no sound
Next: boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro