From: Stan Hoeppner on
Ron Johnson put forth on 5/3/2010 4:21 PM:
> On 05/03/2010 04:13 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> I was listing advantages of netbooks over notebooks and laptops, but
>> size is not one of them, _at_least_for_me_. They are too small. The
>> screens are too small for my eyesight, the keyboards are too small for
>> my hands, and so on.
>>
>> YMMV, I suppose.
>>

> I'm actually waiting for decently-priced dual-core netbooks.

Given the 12" screens and full size laptop keyboards on the current dual
core netbooks I'd hardly call them "netbooks", but rather small laptops, or,
gasp, "sub notebooks". It wasn't all that long ago that the average laptop
had a 12" screen. Given the trend of constant growth and bloat of laptops...

Playing prophet, I predict that in the not too distant future the hw makers
will introduce a "new" class of portable computers called "sub netbooks"
which will start out with the 7" screen that the first "netbooks" were
introduced with, because all the netbooks will have crept up to 10" or 12"
screens.

This industry is famous for taking the old and relabeling it as new in an
attempt to drive revenue, but with almost zero innovation in the "new".

--
Stan

Mark Allums put forth on 5/3/2010 5:01 PM:

> With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
> machine that can use 4 GB of memory.

A user's application usage patterns dictate how much memory the machine
needs, not the width of the CPU registers. The comment above belongs in the
winders user world, not here on the debian-user list, where we are assumed
to be competent OPs. The reasoning behind your suggestion is totally flawed.

--
Stan

On 05/03/2010 11:01 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Mark Allums put forth on 5/3/2010 5:01 PM:
>
>> With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
>> machine that can use 4 GB of memory.
>
> A user's application usage patterns dictate how much memory the machine
> needs, not the width of the CPU registers. The comment above belongs in the
> winders user world, not here on the debian-user list, where we are assumed
> to be competent OPs. The reasoning behind your suggestion is totally flawed.

While Mark's comment is only superficially true, your response is
*really* uncalled for.

For one thing, your first sentence is a /non sequiter/, irrelevant
as to whether a 64-bit system uses more memory than does a 32-bit
system. (Which it does, since the pointers are larger.)

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

deloptes put forth on 5/3/2010 6:20 PM:

> I've noticed that there is only 512K cache in the most netbooks which makes
> then unsuitable for development. ATM this is stopping me from buying one.
> Do you know if there are some with larger cache?

The Celeron/M based netbooks have 1MB L2 cache. The dual core AMD and dual
core Atom netbooks have 1MB L2 cache but that's 2 x 512KB per core.
However, compiling code using concurrency_level=2 would definitely see a
speedup using the dual core CPUs, even if they have no more L2 per core vs.
the single core CPUs. If you want to do development on a netbook today, I'd
recommend a dual core model over a single core Celeron with 1MB L2 cache.

So basically you're looking at one model of Asus Eee in black or silver.
Here's the black one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220659

Given the 12" screen I don't really consider this a "netbook". If your goal
is a small form factor, I think this is the smallest portable you'll find
with a dual core cpu. It's probably not suitable for any kind of real
"development" work, but it will probably be more suitable than any other
"netbook" class portable.

--
Stan

deloptes put forth on 5/3/2010 7:44 PM:

> So the question is, if
> someone knows of a netbook (that is _64bit) and can be used for development
> (i.e. has 2gb ram and i.e. 2m cache) this would be exactly perfect for me.

I listed the machine closest to your requirements in my last email. It
meets all your requirements but for the 2MB L2 cache. TTBOMK, there are no
netbooks with 2MB L2 cpu cache. Neither AMD nor Intel make a CPU with 2MB
L2 cache for this class of machines.

--
Stan

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: ibook g3 no sound
Next: boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro