From: Joel Roth on
On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 12:17:54PM -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install Debian
> linux on it when / if I do. I'd also like to get one which uses an
> AMD64-class processor. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Gateway LT21
> looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie, fairly low-end but
> 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative experience installing Debian
> on this computer?

No specific suggestions. A caution: go to a store and make
sure your future netbook supports ACPI. I've had bad
experiences with my cheap Toshiba Satellite L305 series
laptop: the fan controls (and most other ACPI registers) do
nothing.

It seems either Toshiba or the BIOS maker Insyde H2O has
chosen non-standard SSDT/DSDT table values, with the result
that only Microsoft's OS knows where to twiddle.

There are reports that the omnibook module will correctly
handle Insyde H2O BIOS'ed notebook. Have yet to test here.

Good luck,

Joel

--
Joel Roth

Mark Allums wrote:

> I do not know, but I would guess that it is dependent on the CPU. A
> particular ARM or Atom chip may have a particular amount of on-chip cache.
>
> Choosing one's machine carefully would include knowing what type of CPU
> is in it.
>
> MAA

Good point, thanks!

I've compiled one and the same software on my dell d530 and on an eeepc
(don't remember which model exactly, but I think it was atom inside).
Compile time was significantly longer on the latter. So the question is, if
someone knows of a netbook (that is _64bit) and can be used for development
(i.e. has 2gb ram and i.e. 2m cache) this would be exactly perfect for me.
I've tried looking around but gathering exactly this data is kind of hard.
So if someone has a hint, it would be great. Also some of you are dealing
much ofter with hardware than me. Thanks in advance

regards

On 05/03/2010 06:20 PM, deloptes wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>
>> With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
>> machine that can use 4 GB of memory.
>>

> I also found that people underestimate the importance of L2/3 cache. I'm
> compiling very often and it's really faster on my developer's notebook with
> 4M cache then on faster CPU with 512K. The difference is in the terms of
> 4-8 times.
> I've noticed that there is only 512K cache in the most netbooks which makes
> then unsuitable for development. ATM this is stopping me from buying one.
> Do you know if there are some with larger cache?

Just as a Mini Cooper isn't a dragster or a lorry, netbooks are not
*designed* for heavy computational abilities.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 20:55 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 06:20 PM, deloptes wrote:
> > Mark Allums wrote:
> >
> [snip]

> > Do you know if there are some with larger cache?
> >

> Just as a Mini Cooper isn't a dragster or a lorry, netbooks are not
> *designed* for heavy computational abilities.
maybe this is time for compuserve to come back (I think I have the name
right), used to be able to buy cpu cycles on remove machines - basically
a shell account on a mainframe.

today netbook - connectivity anywhere / take anywhere - but no grunt.

I find with my atom, using syncplaces (a firefox addin), which encrypts
its files - it takes for ever, I am guess i am missing some of those
nice cpu op's that speed these things up.

But my netbook is lite, has loads of connectivity and I can always get
home to the big machine :)

> --
> Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 05/03/2010 09:26 PM, Alex Samad wrote:
[snip]

> I find with my atom, using syncplaces (a firefox addin), which encrypts
> its files - it takes for ever, I am guess i am missing some of those
> nice cpu op's that speed these things up.

AMD & Intel's low-power CPUs need encryption engines just like
Via's, and libssl needs hooks into it.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: ibook g3 no sound
Next: boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro