From: Ross A. Finlayson on
On Nov 30, 12:46 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <8b0d1469-3424-4a9d-8115-7535aadc6...(a)a10g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 29, 11:53 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <3bc52c73-77ee-479b-9a28-824fd9a4a...(a)z10g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

> > > What does "an everywhere-non-diagonal" mean?
>
> > Given a matrix, there is a main diagonal, called "the" diagonal.  In
> > binary, there's one anti-diagonal.  In ternary, base three, an
> > everywhere-non-diagonal is different at each place than the diagonal.
>
> If there are infinitely many infinitely long entries in the list itself,
> there are at least as many "diagonals". They can all be reformatted into
> entries of base a least 4, in which case the dual representation problem
> evaporates as no diagonal has a dual representataion.
>

> > > And does "isn't not on the list" mean the same as "is on the list"?
>
> > No.  It means "isn't necessarily not on the list."
>
> Then you should have said so.

I did, but it's OK, I'm glad that you see that there are some
differences in the treatments that are radix-specific, there are funny
differences between the forms of those results. These can be
"quantified", in a sense, in terms of identifying the cost of
algorithms in terms of time and space complexity, where as the radix
of the list expansions decreases or goes to one, an ever more complex
algorithm is necessary to attempt to build an item difference from
each element of the list.

> > > In any integer base, from 2 on up, and any list, there are constructably
> > > as many non-members of the list as members of it.
>
> > No, that is in integer bases from 4 on up.
>
> But any base can be converted to its square by taking digits two at a
> time instead of one at time, so that every base is effectively treatable
> like a base of at least 4.

I like to take a step back and wonder, and explain, why those things
are different.

In binary there's one antidiagonal.

> > > Since no one has yet been able to give an explicit  well ordering of the
> > > reals, we won't give it to you.
>
> > I don't need it from you, the theory guarantees one exists (if ZFC
> > were consistent).
>
> But does not guarantee that you have access to it.

It doesn't matter its form, its relevant properties are guaranteed by
definition.

Its form is the EF or REF, an interesting mathematical primitive with
tractable analytical properties.

Ross F.
From: Virgil on
In article
<a2ec00f6-b4ab-4be1-bfa5-a0b73146e0e4(a)x25g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 12:46�pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > In article
> > <8b0d1469-3424-4a9d-8115-7535aadc6...(a)a10g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
> > �"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Given a matrix, there is a main diagonal, called "the" diagonal. �In
> > > binary, there's one anti-diagonal. �In ternary, base three, an
> > > everywhere-non-diagonal is different at each place than the diagonal.
> >
> > If there are infinitely many infinitely long entries in the list itself,
> > there are at least as many "diagonals". They can all be reformatted into
> > entries of base a least 4, in which case the dual representation problem
> > evaporates as no diagonal has a dual representataion.

> > > No. �It means "isn't necessarily not on the list."
> >
> > Then you should have said so.
> >

> I did, but it's OK, I'm glad that you see that there are some
> differences in the treatments that are radix-specific, there are funny
> differences between the forms of those results.

Whatever the radix, the Cantor result can be shown to hold for it, and
one method can be show to work for all radices.

> These can be
> "quantified", in a sense, in terms of identifying the cost of
> algorithms in terms of time and space complexity, where as the radix
> of the list expansions decreases or goes to one, an ever more complex
> algorithm is necessary to attempt to build an item difference from
> each element of the list.

Whatever the radix, the Cantor result can be shown to hold for it, and
one single method can be show to work for ALL integer radix values from
2 upwards.

> > > No, that is in integer bases from 4 on up.
> >
> > But any base can be converted to its square by taking digits two at a
> > time instead of one at time, so that every base is effectively treatable
> > like a base of at least 4.
> >

> I like to take a step back and wonder, and explain, why those things
> are different.
>
> In binary there's one antidiagonal.

There are, in fact, as many unlisted sequences as listed ones, and a
method of constructing that many which works equally well for all
integer radices from 2 upwards.

That Ross may not be aware of those construction does not mean that
everyone else must be equally unaware of them.

> > > I don't need it from you, the theory guarantees one exists (if ZFC
> > > were consistent).
> >
> > But does not guarantee that you have access to it.
>
> It doesn't matter its form, its relevant properties are guaranteed by
> definition.
>
> Its form is the EF or REF, an interesting mathematical primitive with
> tractable analytical properties.

If Ross claims to be able to show me a specific well ordering of the
reals, let him do so, but otherwise cease making useless noises.
From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <887fb198-aa2f-46ae-ab6a-91a67cb73066(a)u20g2000vbq.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> On 30 Nov., 14:39, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
>
> > I think you are confusing the limit of a sequence of sets (which is a
> > set) and the limit of the sequence of the cardinalities of sets ( which
> > is a cardinality). =A0In general: the limit of the cardinalities is not
> > necessarily the cardinality of the limit, however much you would like
> > that to be the case.
>
> If the limit of cardinalities is 1, then the limit set has 1 element.

No because the limit of cardinalities is not necessarily the cardinality
of the limit, as I wrote just above.

> In my case the minimum cardinality is one and the minimum set has 1
> element.

Yes, so what?

> This covers the limits of cardinality and set.

It covers nothing at all, because it is not about the limit of the sequence
of sets.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
From: WM on
On 1 Dez., 13:10, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> In article <887fb198-aa2f-46ae-ab6a-91a67cb73...(a)u20g2000vbq.googlegroups..com> WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
>  > On 30 Nov., 14:39, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
>  >
>  > > I think you are confusing the limit of a sequence of sets (which is a
>  > > set) and the limit of the sequence of the cardinalities of sets ( which
>  > > is a cardinality). =A0In general: the limit of the cardinalities is not
>  > > necessarily the cardinality of the limit, however much you would like
>  > > that to be the case.
>  >
>  > If the limit of cardinalities is 1, then the limit set has 1 element..
>
> No because the limit of cardinalities is not necessarily the cardinality
> of the limit, as I wrote just above.

You may write this as often as you like, but you are wrong. If there
is a limit set then there is a limit cardinality, namely the number of
elements in that limit set. Everything else is nonsense.

Regards, WM
From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <6a0cfabf-c90e-4561-a45f-a4ffd33ca8e9(a)m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> On 1 Dez., 13:10, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > In article <887fb198-aa2f-46ae-ab6a-91a67cb73...(a)u20g2000vbq.googlegroups=
> .com> WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> > > If the limit of cardinalities is 1, then the limit set has 1 element.
> >
> > No because the limit of cardinalities is not necessarily the cardinality
> > of the limit, as I wrote just above.
>
> You may write this as often as you like, but you are wrong. If there
> is a limit set then there is a limit cardinality, namely the number of
> elements in that limit set. Everything else is nonsense.

Can you prove the assertion that the limit of the cardinalities is the
cardinality of the limit? I can prove that it can be false. As I wrote,
given:
S_n = {n, n+1}
we have (by the definition of limit of sets:
lim{n -> oo} S_n = {}
and so
2 = lim{n -> oo} | S(n) | != | lim{n -> oo} S_n | = 0
or can you show what I wrote is wrong? If so, what line is wrong?
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131