From: WM on
On 1 Dez., 14:57, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> In article <6a0cfabf-c90e-4561-a45f-a4ffd33ca...(a)m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com> WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> > On 1 Dez., 13:10, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > >
> > > No because the limit of cardinalities is not necessarily the cardinality
> > > of the limit, as I wrote just above.
> >
> > You may write this as often as you like, but you are wrong. If there
> > is a limit set then there is a limit cardinality, namely the number of
> > elements in that limit set. Everything else is nonsense.
>
> Can you prove the assertion that the limit of the cardinalities is the
> cardinality of the limit?

With pleasure. My assertion is obvious if the limit set actually
exists.
Limit cardinality = Cardinality of the limit-set.
If it does not exist, set theory claiming the existence of actual
infinity is wrong.

> I can prove that it can be false. As I wrote,
> given:
> S_n = {n, n+1}
> we have (by the definition of limit of sets:
> lim{n -> oo} S_n = {}

This is wrong. You may find it helpful to see the approach where I
show a related example to my students.

http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~mueckenh/GU/GU12.PPT#394,22,Folie 22

> and so
> 2 = lim{n -> oo} | S(n) | != | lim{n -> oo} S_n | = 0
> or can you show what I wrote is wrong?

Yes I can.* If actual infinity exists*, then the limit set exists.
Then the limit set has a cardinal number which can be determined
simply by counting its elements.
A simple example is
| lim[n --> oo] {1} | = | {1} | = lim[n --> oo] |{1}| = 1.

Exchanging 1 by 2 or 3 or ... in the set {1} does not alter its
cardinality.

If you were right, that | lim[n --> oo] S_n | =/= lim[n --> oo] |S_n|
was possible, then the limit set would not actually exist (such that
its elements could be counted and a different limit could be shown
wrong).

> If so, what line is wrong?

Wrong is your definition of limit set, or set theory claiming actual
infinity as substantially existing, or both.

Regards, WM
From: William Hughes on
On Dec 1, 1:04 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Wrong

WM uses the Wolkenmuekenheim definition of wrong
Wrong = leads to a result that WM does not like.
Inside Wolkenmuekenheim a result that WM does
not like is a contradiction.

Outside Wolkenmuekenheim
there is a result that WM does not like
but there is no contradiction.

- William Hughes

From: George Greene on

On Nov 24, 2:30 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> No, that's not enough.
>
> Suppose that the light begins "on", at each step, I toggle the state.

That was NOT the statement of the problem.
The statement of the problem was
>> you switch a light bulb on and off;

This is inviting people to map to real-world binary light-switches,
NOT abstract unary togglers! If the light switch actually has
positions MARKED on and off (here they are usually up and down),
then this IS enough.
But of course you are right in principle that if "toggling the state"
AS OPPOSED to
"turning on and off" is what is going on, then, yes, we are still
confused.

> It seems that you agree that after omega-many steps, we do not know
> whether the light is on or off.  But if we do not know at omega
> whether the light is on or off, then surely we do not know whether it
> is on or off at omega + 1.
>
> Right?

Right, if the switch just toggles.
But if the switch actually has on and off positions and you are
just setting it to one, at every step, well, that's different.
Oddly.
I mean, it seems like it SHOULDN'T be different.

> To put it differently, you claim "any infinity of steps that has
> a last element will have an answer to this question."  w + 1 is an
> "infinity of steps" with a last element, but if we have an answer at
> w + 1, then we also have an answer at w.

Well, if you're toggling, yes.
If you're turning on and off, then, well, it might still be possible
to turn
(e.g.) on, at w+1, even if you didn't know where you were at w.
From: George Greene on
On Dec 1, 7:42 am, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> You may write this as often as you like, but you are wrong.

Of course you are.
As usual.
The fact that you personally pretend ignorance of order of quantifiers
has no effect on anything other than the banality of the content of
this
newsgroup.
From: Virgil on
In article
<6a0cfabf-c90e-4561-a45f-a4ffd33ca8e9(a)m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 1 Dez., 13:10, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > In article
> > <887fb198-aa2f-46ae-ab6a-91a67cb73...(a)u20g2000vbq.googlegroups.com> WM
> > <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> > �> On 30 Nov., 14:39, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > �>
> > �> > I think you are confusing the limit of a sequence of sets (which is a
> > �> > set) and the limit of the sequence of the cardinalities of sets (
> > which
> > �> > is a cardinality). =A0In general: the limit of the cardinalities is
> > not
> > �> > necessarily the cardinality of the limit, however much you would like
> > �> > that to be the case.
> > �>
> > �> If the limit of cardinalities is 1, then the limit set has 1 element.
> >
> > No because the limit of cardinalities is not necessarily the cardinality
> > of the limit, as I wrote just above.
>
> You may write this as often as you like, but you are wrong.

Limit processes do not automatically and universally commute with other
processes, so it is not at all obvious that WM is right.

And without having incontrovertible supporting proofs, one would be a
fool to take WM's word for anything having to do with mathematics.

> If there
> is a limit set then there is a limit cardinality, namely the number of
> elements in that limit set.

But unless the cardinality of the limit of a sequence of sets and the
limit of the sequence of cardinalities of those sets are formed by
identical processes, there is no guarantee of equality.

> Everything else is nonsense.

In Wolkenmuekenheim everything is nonsense.