From: Virgil on
In article
<5fa54469-e270-4070-b2bc-90f35bb8ce49(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2:17�pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > In article
> > <f37ab501-a998-446b-8aaf-e88059d16...(a)z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > �WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > If the set exists, its elements exist and can be counted.
> >
> > That depends on what one means by "counting". Outside of
> > Wolkenmuekenheim, there are sets which are not images of the naturals
> > under any function, and such sets are uncountable.
>
> No, then you would have proven ZFC consistent.

Not outside of Wolkenmuekenheim, I wouldn't.

Ross seems to think that there are no uncountable sets in any set theory
unless that set theory is embedded in ZFC.
From: Ross A. Finlayson on
On Dec 1, 4:17 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <5fa54469-e270-4070-b2bc-90f35bb8c...(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 1, 2:17 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <f37ab501-a998-446b-8aaf-e88059d16...(a)z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,

> > > That depends on what one means by "counting". Outside of
> > > Wolkenmuekenheim, there are sets which are not images of the naturals
> > > under any function, and such sets are uncountable.
>
> > No, then you would have proven ZFC consistent.
>
> Not outside of Wolkenmuekenheim, I wouldn't.
>
> Ross seems to think that there are no uncountable sets in any set theory
> unless that set theory is embedded in ZFC.

That's accurate. I just don't imagine you'd be using some other set
theory (ZFC <=> NBG). It's also accurate that adherents of regular
(well-founded) set theories get no absolutes, everything qualified by
incompleteness.

Then, where any of the other set theories so described contain the
naturals thus encoding Peano arithmetic, purporting trans-finites,
they can be lumped together with ZFC in never being provable, as a
consequence of those incommensurable trans-finites, in the Goedelian
incompleteness which is structurally defined regardless of whether,
for example, there are sets too big for the theory that don't observe
unmappable powersets (eg, NFU).

Set theory: only sets. Class theory: non-sets theory. Large
cardinals: non-trichotomous.

Ross F.

From: Virgil on
In article
<05846d81-161e-4b2b-849b-7b5b24d9bb8a(a)s20g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 4:17�pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > In article
> > <5fa54469-e270-4070-b2bc-90f35bb8c...(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> > �"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No, then you would have proven ZFC consistent.
> >
> > Not outside of Wolkenmuekenheim, I wouldn't.
> >
> > Ross seems to think that there are no uncountable sets in any set theory
> > unless that set theory is embedded in ZFC.
>
> That's accurate. I just don't imagine you'd be using some other set
> theory (ZFC <=> NBG).

There are classes in NBG which are not sets and which do not exist in
ZFC, ergo, they are not "equivalent".

Further garbage deleted.
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Virgil <Virgil(a)home.esc> writes:

> There are classes in NBG which are not sets and which do not exist in
> ZFC, ergo, they are not "equivalent".

NBG is essentially just a notational variant of ZFC. The differences
between these two theories are of technical logical interest only, and
don't reflect anything in their mathematical content.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechan kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"
From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <12b419b5-1a9f-42c1-b9bc-0e8a2cce2da8(a)z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> On 1 Dez., 14:57, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > > You may write this as often as you like, but you are wrong. If there
> > > is a limit set then there is a limit cardinality, namely the number of
> > > elements in that limit set. Everything else is nonsense.
> >
> > Can you prove the assertion that the limit of the cardinalities is the
> > cardinality of the limit?
>
> With pleasure. My assertion is obvious if the limit set actually
> exists.

No it is not.

> Limit cardinality = Cardinality of the limit-set.

You are conflating within limit cardinality the limit of the cardinalities
and the cardinality of the limit. You have to prove they are equal.

> If it does not exist, set theory claiming the existence of actual
> infinity is wrong.

Both can exist but they are not necessarily equal, you have to *prove* that.

> > I can prove that it can be false. As I wrote,
> > given:
> > S_n = {n, n+1}
> > we have (by the definition of limit of sets:
> > lim{n -> oo} S_n = {}
>
> This is wrong.

You have never looked at the definition I think. Given a sequence of sets
S_n then:
lim sup{n -> oo} S_n contains those elements that occur in infinitely
many S_n
lim inf{n -> oo} S_n contains those elements that occur in all S_n from
a certain S_n (which can be different for each element).
lim{n -> oo} S_n exists whenever lim sup and lim inf are equal.
With this definition lim{n -> oo} S_n exists and is equal to {}.

> ong. You may find it helpful to see the approach where I
> show a related example to my students.
>
> http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~mueckenh/GU/GU12.PPT#394,22,Folie 22

I see nothing related there. It just shows (I think) an open cube and a
cylinder.

> > and so
> > 2 = lim{n -> oo} | S(n) | != | lim{n -> oo} S_n | = 0
> > or can you show what I wrote is wrong?
>
> Yes I can.* If actual infinity exists*, then the limit set exists.

I have still no idea what the mathematical definition of "actual infinity"
is, but given the definitions above, the limit of the sequence of sets
exists and is the empty set.

> Then the limit set has a cardinal number which can be determined
> simply by counting its elements.
> A simple example is
> | lim[n --> oo] {1} | = | {1} | = lim[n --> oo] |{1}| = 1.

Right. And as in the above example the limit is the empty set, we can count
the elements and come at 0.

> If you were right, that | lim[n --> oo] S_n | =/= lim[n --> oo] |S_n|
> was possible, then the limit set would not actually exist (such that
> its elements could be counted and a different limit could be shown
> wrong).

The limit set is empty.

> > If so, what line is wrong?
>
> Wrong is your definition of limit set, or set theory claiming actual
> infinity as substantially existing, or both.

What is *your* definition of the limit of a sequence of sets?
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131