From: Merciadri Luca on

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 20:31, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Any idea for this situation?

Comparing which flash-related packages (and their versions) you have
on each machine? Testing other flash-encripled sites?

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:58, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> I have both `flash-plugin - Adobe Flash Player 10.0' on the two
> computers. They are executing Iceweasel v. 3.0.6, and I also tried
> with the up-to-date Firefox.

I have this one:
ii flashplugin-nonfree 1:2.8
running Sid on amd64.

Try with other browsers. Midori uses WebKit instead of Gecko, but it's
crash-prone. There's Opera (Presto), kazehakase's also Gecko... and
hell, there's IE.

Run firefox from a terminal, that way you'll see the errors when it crashes..

HTH,
Nuno

Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes(a)eu.ipp.pt> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:58, Merciadri Luca
> <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>> I have both `flash-plugin - Adobe Flash Player 10.0' on the two
>> computers. They are executing Iceweasel v. 3.0.6, and I also tried
>> with the up-to-date Firefox.
>
> I have this one:
> ii flashplugin-nonfree 1:2.8
> running Sid on amd64.
Iceweasel gives me, amongst the add-ons:
==
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r100
..
..
..
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10
==

I tried deactivating the last one (i.e. Windows MP stuff), which was
causing some related trouble at others' browsers, if I understand the
whole correctly. (You might have a look at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/firefox-crashing-on-youtube-623118/.)

A $ apt-cache search mplayer

gives me unuseful stuff, except

==
mplayer-skin-blue - blue skin for mplayer
mplayer-dbg - debugging symbols for MPlayer
mplayer-doc - documentation for MPlayer
mplayer - movie player for Unix-like systems
mozilla-mplayer - MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla
==

Note however, that

==
# apt-get -s remove mozilla-mplayer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package mozilla-mplayer is not installed, so not removed
==

It may not be the cause of the problem, somehow. I just wanted to
exclude any possibility...

Using the built-in Epiphany results in the same crashes (just with
Youtube). That looks normal as Epiphany is Gecko-based.

> Try with other browsers. Midori uses WebKit instead of Gecko, but it's
> crash-prone. There's Opera (Presto), kazehakase's also Gecko... and
> hell, there's IE.
For IE, it evidently works pretty well under Microsoft Windows XP, but
this is not the subject, isn't it?

> Run firefox from a terminal, that way you'll see the errors when it
> crashes.
That was the first thing I tried:

==
$ firefox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_KrB8Mepg
Unsupported movie property style with value ""
Unsupported movie property id with value "movie_player"
Unsupported movie property name with value "movie_player"
Unsupported movie property quality with value "high"
Unsupported movie property allowfullscreen with value "true"
Unsupported movie property allowscriptaccess with value "always"
unhandled event 19
==

until there, NO crash at all (it is always so), as I have a really big
`Play' icon _in_ the flash plug-in: the Flash has not been played.

Then, some unuseful stuff:

==
Loading stream: http://v7.cache2.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?ip=0.0.0.0&sparams=id%2Cexpire%2Cip%2Cipbits%2Citag%2Calgorithm%2Cburst%2Cfactor&fexp=903202&algorithm=throttle-factor&itag=5&ipbits=0&burst=40&sver=3&expire=1264899600&key=yt1&signature=3C09C806BB0A3FCC9CF94A95A7429513CCE9898C.D440F68A564E69A814DE2B041DA03CE4972021A1&factor=1.25&id=718fcaac1f0c7a98&redirect_counter=1
Loading stream: http://video-stats.video.google.com/s?ns=yt&docid=cY_KrB8Mepg&hl=en_US&cr=US&el=detailpage&fexp=903202&vid=aqSUfBzQpzyLVV7WYJF3KaH1uTg5Arf7C&csipt=watch&fmt=5&md=1&st=0.067&w=640&plid=AAR-ZjxkLeKATowr&vw=320&fv=WIN%209%2C0%2C100%2C0&sd=B4A7DD227MM&et=0.067&rt=2.8&len=254.4&bc=231338&vh=240&h=360
==

Once I have clicked, I can hear sound, and sometimes see an image from
the flash being played, but nothing more. The whole Iceweasel becomes
unresponsive, and I am obliged to kill the process. If I do not kill
it, it begins to stall completely, and freezes.

Any idea?

Thanks for your help.
- --
Merciadri Luca