From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:14 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Next time, read the reviews or ask in the forums *before buying* a
>> printer. Today is a *must* to be informed on the linux support for any
>> piece of hardware, mostly for scanning devices (printers are getting
>> better support those days).
>>

> I think that was harsh of you. I have this printer for a long time > 4 -
> 5 years and it has served me very well. We've been using this printer
> and it has given no issues in every other way.

We all (users) have -or have had- some piece of hardware that it's not
working with Linux. That is the crude fact, nothing strange here.

> I've seen this problem on Linux for a long long time and every time I
> assumed it was something I did wrong, but apparently the bug has existed
> for a long time (and I do consider it a bug, not a "feature")

You (or me) can call it as we want. It's HP who has the power to correct
it or adding that option.

> Unfortunately until HP really takes Linux seriously I doubt whether it
> will have the desired impact.

So add yourself to the bug you found or open a new one.

> And no, I prefer not spending on devices just to get it working under
> Linux. I print occasionally anyway and it doesn't justify the extra cost
> either. A PSC was good enough for us then and it's good enough now.

Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).

> I really thought that the cartridge issue would be resolved by now.
> Apologies for my responses, but I have got really really frustrated
> these days with the mediocre level of support given by hardware
> manufacturers for Linux.

Yes, we all suffer for that. But HP is making a good job with HPLIP
just... just that not all devices have the same good support for the
drivers. I suppose older MFP lack some fetaures while newer ones, don't.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:14 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> Next time, read the reviews or ask in the forums *before buying* a
>>> printer. Today is a *must* to be informed on the linux support for any
>>> piece of hardware, mostly for scanning devices (printers are getting
>>> better support those days).
>>>

>> I think that was harsh of you. I have this printer for a long time > 4
>> - 5 years and it has served me very well. We've been using this printer
>> and it has given no issues in every other way.
>
> We all (users) have -or have had- some piece of hardware that it's not
> working with Linux. That is the crude fact, nothing strange here.
>
>> I've seen this problem on Linux for a long long time and every time I
>> assumed it was something I did wrong, but apparently the bug has
>> existed for a long time (and I do consider it a bug, not a "feature")
>
> You (or me) can call it as we want. It's HP who has the power to correct
> it or adding that option.
>
>> Unfortunately until HP really takes Linux seriously I doubt whether it
>> will have the desired impact.
>
> So add yourself to the bug you found or open a new one.
>
>> And no, I prefer not spending on devices just to get it working under
>> Linux. I print occasionally anyway and it doesn't justify the extra
>> cost either. A PSC was good enough for us then and it's good enough
>> now.
>
> Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
> available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
> configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).

Why we should consider it a non-available feature when it works under
Windows? I know it's not an "intelligent" printer, but isn't it the job
of the device driver to take care of those issues? If HP are actively
involved in it???

>> I really thought that the cartridge issue would be resolved by now.
>> Apologies for my responses, but I have got really really frustrated
>> these days with the mediocre level of support given by hardware
>> manufacturers for Linux.
>
> Yes, we all suffer for that. But HP is making a good job with HPLIP
> just... just that not all devices have the same good support for the
> drivers. I suppose older MFP lack some fetaures while newer ones, don't.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I would have thought HP if they were involved in the development of the
HPLIP drivers would have fixed a simple issue like that on old or new
printers particularly as they support the device 100% under Windows. I am
not saying that they're not doing a good job, it's just strange that they
have neglected to include an important series of low-end MF printers
which a lot of us use at homes.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:29:44 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
>>> need just to fix this problem."
>>
>> No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".
>
> Where was this information available then?

Dunno... did you ask HP in that time, for instance?

> I keep asking this, this is
> such an obscure issue that it surfaces only after I take a colour
> document printout?

Obscure? Not, is just an option that is not avaialble for some printer
models, not only yours, calm down.

> Even googling this issue I find very few articles referring to this
> particular "drawback of Linux drivers".

It can be that not all people is interested in that feature. But again,
if it was so important for you, you better had asked HP directly to be
sure about your buying. Now there is little you can do, just complain :-(

> It's a feature I would have expected to work 99% of the time.

I, knowing how these things work, don't.

> Calling me out on being unaware of this specific bug is not very kind
> of you!

Well, I am stating a fact: you were unaware that some concrete function
was not a option for your device. You call that "be not very kind"? Okay,
I call that "to be unaware" :-)

>> Then you have to spend your money in a good device that have all such
>> features and it's fully supported on your linux box. There are tons of
>> hardware devices out there that simply do not work or are not fully
>> supported in linux :-/
>>

> AFAIK, spending more money on hardware does not guarantee success with
> Linux. I've had expensive hardware also fail to work on Linux before. So
> yes, I understand that you need to state this, but I have been a Debian
> user for over 8 years now and I don't need to be told this specifically.

Spend money with hardware that will work as you expect. Ask manufactures
to get the full capabilities with Linux (I do), ask in the forums to get
more feedback (I also do), and then pray for the best...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Dne, 30. 07. 2010 10:06:18 je Harishankar napisal(a):

> Wow... I just checked the difference between Linux and Windows
> printing
> using my printer. The speed difference is also amazing. In Windows the
> printer responds so quickly and also prints the page fast. The black
> and
> greyscale parts of the printed page are crisp, sharp and clear (as it
> clearly uses the black cartridge) and the colours are rendered using
> the
> colour cartridge as per normal.
>
> So well yes, the Linux drivers STILL face this issue and I'm not sure
> whether it will ever be fixed at all. Even the old hpijs drivers have
> the
> same issue and so does the new hpcups driver.
>
> I feel very disappointed that I cannot take multi-colour document
> printouts properly in Linux even after all these years. :-(

Not to worry. Cheap printers are designed to die fast, so in a year or
two you'll be shopping for a new printer anyway. When you do, be sure
to check the hplip compatibility page *first*, and only buy a printer
that has *full* hplip support. It's what I did prior to buying my last
inkjet, and I must say I've never regretted it since (well, with the
exception of the cartridge prices which are a ripoff.)

I simply don't buy any hardware that isn't well supported in GNU/Linux:
I've learned that doing my research *first* is waaay better than
pulling my hair out and flooding Linux support forums later.

For what it's worth, by purchasing a Linux-compatible device I increase
its market success by 1 unit, so I also "send a message" to the
manufacturers (well, sort of).

P.S. Could you please trim your posts?

--
Regards, and sorry for not being of any practical help

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

> Ask them for that. They will tell you whether tecnically possible or
> just a market strategy.

Actually the HPIJS driver for this device has the setting:

Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: 300dpi color black + color
cartridge

But it is obviously ignored.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)