From: Klistvud on
Dne, 30. 07. 2010 11:20:47 je Lisi napisal(a):

> And I do the research myself - it is no good asking salesmen. "yer
> what?" is
> the commonest response.

You may consider yourself lucky. Here in Slovenia, "try check the
personal care department!" is their commonest response. Linex happens
to be a much advertised brand of adult diapers.

Hmm, this is becoming slightly offtopic ...
--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:17:23 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:06:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Then, care to fill a bug at HPLIP site?
>>
>> If the option is there (you said *it was not*) it should work. If not,
>> you can report it.

(...)

> The bug was filed - I think I mentioned it in my first post. The status
> on the issue has been the same for years.

Mmm... it is not clear to me -from the bug you pointed- what driver
options was using the reporter ("hplip" or "hpijs").

> The ACTUAL option was not available in the newer hpcups driver, but it
> is available in the older hpijs driver, but the result is the same. :-(

That is a different bug you should report (meaning: hpjis has the
possibility to select using black cartridge -which fails- and hlpip does
not). It's a missing feature.

> That's why I haven't filed a bug. HPLIP developers haven't cared for it
> for years (?) Never read an official response.

If you leave it and don't insist, they won't do anything :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:35:29 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> If you leave it and don't insist, they won't do anything :-(
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I have to create a launchpad account to report the bug? Nevertheless I
suppose I might have to add my voice.

Problem is it appears hpijs has been deprecated in favour of hpcups and
now I am wondering whether the printout quality was an intentional
omission. With the HPCUPs driver I cannot even select the DPI
resolution :-(

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:42:52 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:35:29 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> If you leave it and don't insist, they won't do anything :-(
>>

> I have to create a launchpad account to report the bug? Nevertheless I
> suppose I might have to add my voice.

I'm afraid yes because HPLIP uses launchpad to handle support questions
and bug reports.

> Problem is it appears hpijs has been deprecated in favour of hpcups and
> now I am wondering whether the printout quality was an intentional
> omission. With the HPCUPs driver I cannot even select the DPI resolution
> :-(

Well, HPLIP usually provide more options than the old HPIJS, but indeed,
losing feataures (even they do not work) should be avoided :-)

As per HPLIP resolutions, if you examine the PPD file, you get:

***
*OutputMode NormalRGB/Normal Color: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 1/OutputType(0)/cupsString0(PlainNormalColor)/HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
*OutputMode NormalGray/Normal Grayscale: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 2/OutputType(0)/cupsString0(PlainNormalGrayK)/HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
*OutputMode DraftRGB/Draft Color: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 0/OutputType(-1)/cupsString0(PlainDraftColor)/HWResolution[300 300]>>setpagedevice"
*OutputMode DraftGray/Draft Grayscale: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 2/OutputType(-1)/cupsString0(PlainDraftGrayK)/HWResolution[300 300]>>setpagedevice"
*OutputMode Photo/High-Resolution Photo: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 0/OutputType(2)/cupsString0(PhotoBestPhotoColor)/HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
***

So, 300ppp/600ppp are "hidden" but are there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:02:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Well, HPLIP usually provide more options than the old HPIJS, but indeed,
> losing feataures (even they do not work) should be avoided :-)

I was wondering the same - why the hpcups interface is so bare compared
to the old hpijs printer driver.

> As per HPLIP resolutions, if you examine the PPD file, you get:
>
> ***
> *OutputMode NormalRGB/Normal Color: "<</cupsColorSpace
> 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 1/OutputType(0)/cupsString0(PlainNormalColor)/HWResolution[600
> 600]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode NormalGray/Normal Grayscale:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 2/OutputType(0)/cupsString0(PlainNormalGrayK)/HWResolution[600
> 600]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode DraftRGB/Draft Color:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 0/OutputType(-1)/cupsString0(PlainDraftColor)/HWResolution[300
> 300]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode DraftGray/Draft Grayscale:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 2/OutputType(-1)/cupsString0(PlainDraftGrayK)/HWResolution[300
> 300]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode Photo/High-Resolution Photo:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 0/OutputType(2)/cupsString0(PhotoBestPhotoColor)/HWResolution[600
> 600]>>setpagedevice" ***
>
> So, 300ppp/600ppp are "hidden" but are there.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

This is interesting to note. Apparently the web interface for CUPS is not
exposing the settings. But even the hplip-gui tools don't seem to have
the settings necessary to control printout quality and ink-type.

I think this implies that the hpcups driver is more intelligent than the
old hpijs one and should automatically detect the type of ink to be used,
but it hasn't worked so far with my printer.

SO far I haven't read any threads dealing with the hpcups driver. Most of
the online discussions on this issue are centered around the old driver
interface.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)