From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:38:08 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
>> available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
>> configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).
>>

> Why we should consider it a non-available feature when it works under
> Windows? I know it's not an "intelligent" printer, but isn't it the job
> of the device driver to take care of those issues? If HP are actively
> involved in it???

HP manufactures many type of printer devices: PCL based, Postscript based
and low-end devices mainly for windows. You bought the latter which is
linux featured lacking, bad luck.

HP provides support and bug management via webpage:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

(...)

> I would have thought HP if they were involved in the development of the
> HPLIP drivers would have fixed a simple issue like that on old or new
> printers particularly as they support the device 100% under Windows.

Maybe is just they cannot add that feature for linux unless they re-
design from scratch the printer. Many of those low-end hardware based
devices impede that possibility :-?

> I am not saying that they're not doing a good job, it's just strange
> that they have neglected to include an important series of low-end MF
> printers which a lot of us use at homes.

Ask them for that. They will tell you whether tecnically possible or just
a market strategy.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:02:30 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Not to worry. Cheap printers are designed to die fast, so in a year or
> two you'll be shopping for a new printer anyway. When you do, be sure to
> check the hplip compatibility page *first*, and only buy a printer that
> has *full* hplip support. It's what I did prior to buying my last
> inkjet, and I must say I've never regretted it since (well, with the
> exception of the cartridge prices which are a ripoff.)
>
> I simply don't buy any hardware that isn't well supported in GNU/Linux:
> I've learned that doing my research *first* is waaay better than pulling
> my hair out and flooding Linux support forums later.
>
> For what it's worth, by purchasing a Linux-compatible device I increase
> its market success by 1 unit, so I also "send a message" to the
> manufacturers (well, sort of).
>
> P.S. Could you please trim your posts?

Actually this printer has been used for 4-5 years now and it still
appears to be going strong. It seems I got lucky???

I appreciate HP products, but I feel these issues are not particularly on
the top of your mind while shopping for a printer. Especially considering
that I already knew that HP printers are supported.

Linux awareness is pretty low in India generally even though it's
popularity is rising. Determining the level of support for a device is
more information than I can expect from a salesman leave alone a
technician. (I buy my products from a dealer, not HP directly.)

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

>> Ask them for that. They will tell you whether tecnically possible or
>> just a market strategy.
>
> Actually the HPIJS driver for this device has the setting:
>
> Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: 300dpi color black + color
> cartridge
>
> But it is obviously ignored.

Then, care to fill a bug at HPLIP site?

If the option is there (you said *it was not*) it should work. If not,
you can report it.

Choose a PDF file of your choice (with high levels of black) and print
out a sample page from windows and then print the same page with linux.

In both cases, select "color+black" from driver settings and then scan
both pages to send it out to HPLIP devels.

They will tell >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:06:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Then, care to fill a bug at HPLIP site?
>
> If the option is there (you said *it was not*) it should work. If not,
> you can report it.
>
> Choose a PDF file of your choice (with high levels of black) and print
> out a sample page from windows and then print the same page with linux.
>
> In both cases, select "color+black" from driver settings and then scan
> both pages to send it out to HPLIP devels.
>
> They will tell >:-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

The bug was filed - I think I mentioned it in my first post. The status
on the issue has been the same for years.

The ACTUAL option was not available in the newer hpcups driver, but it is
available in the older hpijs driver, but the result is the same. :-(

That's why I haven't filed a bug. HPLIP developers haven't cared for it
for years (?) Never read an official response.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:20:47 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Friday 30 July 2010 10:09:14 Harishankar wrote:
>> I appreciate HP products, but I feel these issues are not particularly
>> on the top of your mind while shopping for a printer.
>
> Perhaps they should be! They are certainly at the top of my mind when I
> buy _any_ hardware that I intend to use with Linux. And printers and
> scanners are so easy to check.
>
> And I do the research myself - it is no good asking salesmen. "yer
> what?" is the commonest response.
>
> Lisi

To be honest it was so long ago that I don't remember at all what was the
thought process. I wasn't probably even aware that the cartridge
selection and usage would be a problem on a colour printer. It's easy to
be wise after the fact, but back then it never struck my mind.

All I knew was the printer was supported in Linux. The actual levels of
support has not occurred to me.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)