From: Liam O'Toole on
On 2010-05-15, RyanJB <ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Final thoughts,
>
> After much considering, I think I'll stick to lenny but I will install some package from sid..

Be careful. Packages from sid are not (intended to be) compatible with
lenny. Consider using backports (http://www.backports.org) instead.

> Thanks everyone for the help. Appreciated it a lot :)
>
> RJB

Liam

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On 05/15/2010 08:16 AM, RyanJB wrote:
> Thanks for the comprehensive reply, it's like you just whipped up
> a new documentation for this problem ;)
>
> I think it's best for me to run lenny with backport. My need is
> actually only a stable home system. I do favor current apps
> though; I often use betas (but not alphas), but I can live with
> old apps.

Then use Sid. Lots of non-geeks do.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 08:23:09AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 08:16 AM, RyanJB wrote:
> >Thanks for the comprehensive reply, it's like you just whipped up
> >a new documentation for this problem ;)
> >
> >I think it's best for me to run lenny with backport. My need is
> >actually only a stable home system. I do favor current apps
> >though; I often use betas (but not alphas), but I can live with
> >old apps.
> >

> Then use Sid. Lots of non-geeks do.

Why??? I think he made a correct judgement.

He said "I can live with old apps".

He can always run sid in chroot or virtual machine. But the fact that
he is asking this question is the proof, he should get to lern Debian
system now.

Once he will get to used to Debian system, he can do sid as I do or Ron
does. But I think it is premature. Give him few months, he will....

Osamu

Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Fri May 14 2010 11:22:54 pm Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> If you want the latest I'd run either testing or unstable. I have both
>>> stable and unstable installed. Most of the time I run unstable.
>> +1 Sid/Unstable
>
> Yep, even though it's called unstable it's like a rock.. :)

Indeed, and that needs to be stressed. "Unstable" it may be called but I
find it very stable, as long as you don't burn your bridges behind you.

Hugo

On 05/15/2010 12:48 AM, RyanJB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the latest apps keep pouring in, is there any way to keep debian in the "cutting edge"? I mean, how to keep debian as updated as, say, ubuntu or even sidux?? You know, latest iceweasel, openoffice, gnome, etc. Maybe using unstable or experimental repo? I'm sure there's many ways to do this, but I just don't know.. I'm new to debian :(
>
> Thanks a lot,
> RJB

Run sidux. It is Debian unstable with some people doing some extra work
to keep it a bit more stable for you. Use the smxi script which helps
keep things stable also (and simplifies installation of some software to
boot). I love sidux on the desktop (and vanilla Debian on my servers).

If the master dies and the disciple grieves, the lives of both have
been wasted.

Saturday May 15, 2010