From: RyanJB on
Hi,

With the latest apps keep pouring in, is there any way to keep debian in the "cutting edge"? I mean, how to keep debian as updated as, say, ubuntu or even sidux?? You know, latest iceweasel, openoffice, gnome, etc. Maybe using unstable or experimental repo? I'm sure there's many ways to do this, but I just don't know.. I'm new to debian :(

Thanks a lot,
RJB

On Fri May 14 2010 09:48:47 pm RyanJB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the latest apps keep pouring in, is there any way to keep debian in
> the "cutting edge"? I mean, how to keep debian as updated as, say, ubuntu
> or even sidux?? You know, latest iceweasel, openoffice, gnome, etc. Maybe
> using unstable or experimental repo? I'm sure there's many ways to do this,
> but I just don't know.. I'm new to debian :(

If you want the latest I'd run either testing or unstable. I have both stable
and unstable installed. Most of the time I run unstable.

On 05/15/2010 01:14 AM, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Fri May 14 2010 09:48:47 pm RyanJB wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the latest apps keep pouring in, is there any way to keep debian in
>> the "cutting edge"? I mean, how to keep debian as updated as, say, ubuntu
>> or even sidux?? You know, latest iceweasel, openoffice, gnome, etc. Maybe
>> using unstable or experimental repo? I'm sure there's many ways to do this,
>> but I just don't know.. I'm new to debian :(
>
> If you want the latest I'd run either testing or unstable. I have both stable
> and unstable installed. Most of the time I run unstable.

+1 Sid/Unstable

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

>If you want the latest I'd run either testing
>or unstable. I have both stable
>and unstable installed.
>Most of the time I run unstable.

So considering that, the extra debian iso have practically no use since later I'll be upgrading packets from sid anyway?? Any clarifications?

Thanks,
RJB

On Fri May 14 2010 11:43:41 pm RyanJB wrote:
> >If you want the latest I'd run either testing
> >or unstable. I have both stable
> >and unstable installed.
> >Most of the time I run unstable.
>
> So considering that, the extra debian iso have practically no use since
> later I'll be upgrading packets from sid anyway?? Any clarifications?

I'm not sure what you mean. What is an "extra" iso?

You mean the full set of CD or DVD images? I find a net install works best
nowadays. Then you just download and install packages as you want to.

The archive is simply huge now so it's a lot to download and burn unless you
have machines that are not connected to the net that you want to install or
update.