From: Mark Allums on
On 5/18/2010 10:34 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

>> Thank you. This is contrary to what the main Debian site says in
>> multiple places, but it is plausible. Good to know.
>
> Could you be more specific where you saw them or where you got this
> impression? So we can make corrective action to reduce confusion.

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

This area contains the most recent packages in Debian. Once a package
has met our criterion for stability and quality of packaging, it will be
included in testing. unstable is also not supported by the security team.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch2.en.html#s2.3

2.3 How does Debian handle security?
..
..
..
Information regarding security is centralized in a single point,
http://security.debian.org/.

http://www.debian.org/security/faq#unstable

Q: How is security handled for unstable?

A: The short answer is: it's not. Unstable is a rapidly moving target
and the security team does not have the resources needed to properly
support it. If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are
strongly encouraged to stay with stable.

On Tue,18.May.10, 13:49:11, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > May I suggest:
> > ---
> > If "sid" is used in the above example instead of "lenny", the "deb:
> > http://security.debian.org/ …" line for security updates in the
> > "/etc/apt/sources.list" is not required as there is no need to have a
> > separate security update archive for "sid". This is because "sid"
> > (unstable) is *usually* updated whenever security issues are fixed for
> > stable.
> >
> > However, it can happen that the fixes are not applied immediately (e.g.
> > the maintainer is waiting for a new version from upstream which fixes
> > the issue) or issues exist which do not affect the version in stable or
> > testing, in which case Debian will not even issue a DSA.
> > ---
> > (DSA might need expanding/explaining if not already done in some other
> > paragraph)
> I thought John Hasler's response was very good. It explained why I was
> confused - there are security updates but they are not the same type of
> updates as testing and stable receive. Perhaps John's wording should be
> included; it clarified a very murky issue for me - John

How about this instead of the last paragraph:

---
Please note that the Security Team does not monitor unstable. It is up
to the individual maintainer to fix the issue. This may under
circumstances take longer, e.g. if the maintainer is waiting for a new
version from upstream. There are also no Debian Security Advisories
(DSA) for issues that are present in the unstable version of a software,
but not the versions in stable and/or testing.
---

Aoki-san, what do you think, is this getting too long? I also thought
about mentioning alternate sources to get security informations (CVEs
and such).

Regards,
Andrei
On 5/18/2010 2:21 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 5/18/2010 10:34 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
>
>>> Thank you. This is contrary to what the main Debian site says in
>>> multiple places, but it is plausible. Good to know.
>>
>> Could you be more specific where you saw them or where you got this
>> impression? So we can make corrective action to reduce confusion.
>

> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch2.en.html#s2.3
> http://www.debian.org/security/faq#unstable

I would like to reiterate that there are lots of places where either it
is implied that the security team handles all, or that unstable never
gets fixes, not just those three I quoted (above) in a previous post.
And that also does not include the various wikis, and odd corners that
are Debian-affiliated, but not part of the official site.

Op 18-05-10 21:21, Mark Allums schreef:
> On 5/18/2010 10:34 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
>
>>> Thank you. This is contrary to what the main Debian site says in
>>> multiple places, but it is plausible. Good to know.
>>
>> Could you be more specific where you saw them or where you got this
>> impression? So we can make corrective action to reduce confusion.

> Information regarding security is centralized in a single point,
> http://security.debian.org/.

Anyway, to also clearly answer the question about testing security
support, same manual #8:
Q: How is security handled for testing?

A: If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly
encouraged to stay with stable. However, there is security support for
testing: The Debian testing security team handles issues for testing.
They will make sure that the fixed packages enter testing in the usual
way by migration from unstable (with reduced quarantine time), or, if
that still takes too long, make them available via the the normal
http://security.debian.org infrastructure. To use it, make sure the
following line is in /etc/apt/sources.list:

So yes, testing *does* receive security support

Sjoerd

From: Andrei Popescu on
On Tue,18.May.10, 22:59:46, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

> So yes, testing *does* receive security support

http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing-security-announce/2008/12/msg00019.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing-security-announce/2010/01/msg00000.html

Regards,
Andrei