From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-19 13:11, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Ron:
>
>> What version is that? v3.2 from Sid opens much faster than any
>> other version I've seen.
>
> 3.2.0-4

For me, that version performs much better than an other than the old
1.x ones.

>> "Hang" has a specific meaning.
>> Do you mean "seemingly does nothing"?
>
> Correct, just hangs for a while (no any responses) then opens the document.
>
>> Upgrade to v3.2; add more RAM; buy a faster CPU; learn C++ and join
>> the OOo development team.
>
> Thank You for the wisdom - so I will do.

Also, run top(1) sorting by (M)emory. You'll almost definitely see
OOo grind up CPU and RAM.

>> There use to be a "preloader", but I don't see it anymore.
>
> ?

There was a feature where GNOME or KDE would pre-load OOo at DE
startup. That way, it *appears* that OOo loads much faster, even
though it was really just shifted.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 2010-04-19 16:30, Clive McBarton wrote:

>> There was a feature where GNOME or KDE would pre-load OOo at DE
>> startup. That way, it *appears* that OOo loads much faster, even though
>> it was really just shifted.
>
> There's still the "preload" package. It preloads whatever is needed
> most, hence presumably also OOo if that is what's run often.

Which is not the specific-to-OOo package I referred to.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Thank You for Your time and answer, Ron:

>I run Sid.

Aha! - I run testing OO - even not whole my system.

>Note also that OOo depends on Gtk, which might need also to be
>loaded by KDE, but not by GNOME or XFce.

Could You please extend this Your phrase: how I/KDE can load the Gtk?

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> :
>> So, do You know how I can activate it in KDE 3.5 ?
>Nope. xfce is my preferred DE.

Just for information, it's mine too.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36