From: Sthu Deus on
Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

>Life is hard :-)

And I know what makes it harder! ;)

>If OOo does not offer such feature anymore, you can get "preload¹" which
>is... humm, a "preloader" daemon ;-)

Thank You again. Do I need to wait for some period when it will gather its statistics?

>OpenOffice saves the user settings under "~/.openoffice.org2" (or a
>similar path). Just try by renaming the current folder and start OOo (it
>will recreate an empty and new one) to check if you note any speed
>improvement.

Now have tried - same effect. So I have installed preloader. Wait for any changes...

Thank You for Your time and answer, Ron:

>For me, that version performs much better than an other than the old
>1.x ones.

Then, something else You have that I do not (libs?) that prevent me from running the testing repo OO...

>There was a feature where GNOME or KDE would pre-load OOo at DE
>startup. That way, it *appears* that OOo loads much faster, even
>though it was really just shifted.

So, do You know how I can activate it in KDE 3.5 ?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:55:17 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>Life is hard :-)
>
> And I know what makes it harder! ;)
>
>>If OOo does not offer such feature anymore, you can get "preload¹" which
>>is... humm, a "preloader" daemon ;-)
>
> Thank You again. Do I need to wait for some period when it will gather
> its statistics?

Dunno, I've never used it :-?

There is a good explanation about the daemon features here:

***
Drastically Speed up your Linux System with Preload
http://techthrob.com/2009/03/02/drastically-speed-up-your-linux-system-with-preload/
***

It seems you can tweak some values but the defaults should be fine.

Also, as per the article, you can take a look into what is currently
monitoring by reading "/var/lib/preload/preload.state" file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 2010-04-21 08:58, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Ron:
>
>> For me, that version performs much better than an other than the old
>> 1.x ones.
>
> Then, something else You have that I do not (libs?) that prevent me from running the testing repo OO...

I run Sid.

>> There was a feature where GNOME or KDE would pre-load OOo at DE
>> startup. That way, it *appears* that OOo loads much faster, even
>> though it was really just shifted.
>
> So, do You know how I can activate it in KDE 3.5 ?

Nope. xfce is my preferred DE.

Note also that OOo depends on Gtk, which might need also to be
loaded by KDE, but not by GNOME or XFce.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 04/22/2010 12:31 PM, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Ron:
>
>> I run Sid.
>
> Aha! - I run testing OO - even not whole my system.
>
>> Note also that OOo depends on Gtk, which might need also to be
>> loaded by KDE, but not by GNOME or XFce.
>
> Could You please extend this Your phrase: how I/KDE can load the Gtk?

*You* don't. The OS loads libraries for you.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?